Walk-on is About Six Weeks of Age

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We experienced a walk-on earlier this week. Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often here in our rural location. Our clowder has held steady at six over the last two summers.

Heathcliff seems like he is plucked from a litter, but he does seem to be weaned.

I fed Heathcliff from the food supply I keep for my adults who live in the garage and outside. (They come inside when the weather stinks.)

Heathcliff gobbles up everything that I give him. He seems trim, healthy, active, and litter-box functional. I give him about 4.5 ounces of meaty or pate food for adults spread out across my own meal times.

Too much? Not enough? I'll bet he would eat an entire can if I allowed it. He eats the adult's dry food if I allow it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, it isn't possible to overfeed a growing kitten. They need a lot of food until at least a year old 💞

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! He probably needs feeding much more than he is getting — probably 4 times as much if he is young and growing. If he is still a kitten he needs feeding literally up to 6 times a day to grow on. It’s amazing how much growing kittens can eat until they reach adulthood. He’s hungry! Feed him!

Do set a neuter appointment soon as well so that he is unable to go mating when his testosterone comes in. Twelve to 16 weeks is ideal, but if he’s already older, get him neutered ASAP.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I re-read this and see that he is only 6 weeks old. Feed him tons — as much as he wants and needs for now. He’s growing quickly and needs the nutrition. You’ll feel like he’s eating a case of wet food a week — and he genuinely might. Kittens are expensive. He’ll also eat dry food in between. But around 16 weeks he can be neutered. He’ll still eat a lot, but it will become less as he approaches 9 months to a year.

Also, he may want to move inside with you. When socialized at a young age, kittens can become very loving and tame and become very content house cats!