Wal-Mart Maxximum brand cat food

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gayef, what about the premium dry foods? They don't contain corn or very many grains, Innova EVO in particular doesn't have any grains at all. It's the lower ranked foods that contain corn and grains and nobody should be feeding those, dry or wet, unless they really have no choice.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyGoneWild

For anyone feeding their kitties Iams, which is what I was previously keeping mine on, as I was told it was a "top notch cat food", I've switched to Felidae, which is by far, a better quality. I live in a small town. Really the only place to buy cat food other than Wal-Mart or a grocery chain is Pet Supplies PLUS.

I was paying $27.99 for a 20 lb. bag of Iams Original or Multi-cat formula. The 20 lb. bag of Felidae Cat and Kitten formula I bought yesterday was $28.99. Only $1.00 difference! My kitties are my children, and deserve the best I can give them. If you're using Iams, please look into Felidae or another better quality food. I've even talked my brother into switching his kitty from Iams.
Why switch? can you tell me why iams isnt as good as this other brand? you said switch but didnt give the reason why, I have feed my cats iams for over a year now and have noticed a change in them. I always got what ever was cheapest, as far as i was concerned they were lucky I got them any thing, if they were hungry go catch a mouse. But now being a cat person and raising cats I decided to get the best i could for them and ended up with iams, its the only thing that "honey" doesnt throw up, and after a litter of kittens my queen is healthy and doesnt loose weight like she did her first litter feeding friskies, 9 lives, ect. she had lost so much weight after her first litter she got sick and i had to bring her to the vets. now she doesnt loose weight. I have recently heard iams has lab animals that arent treated so well, but other then that i think the food is good quality, and there isn't too much more expensive then iams. so if some one gave me a real good reason to switch, i would be more then happy to check out other brands, untill then i guess iams it is, its certainly better then meow mix or some of the others with the red dyes that makes my "Honey" sick. I had heard of the Diamond, there was a pet store in my town that had it but they moved since then. I used it for my dogs, i was always a dog person and feed them what i thought was good food, (at the time it was pedigree lamb and rice) but my ex-boyfriends mother thought she was doing me a favor and bought any thing cheap, and i mean any thing, old roy, chuck wagon, all the bad ones, and when my boxer went bald, my vet asked my if i switched his food, and of course the answer was yes, he told me cheap food if its the same kind is better then switching foods, but some thing better quality and lamb would be best so thats when i found the diamond lamb and rice, and within weeks his coat was back and he looked great, but she closed her store shortly after that and i went back to pedigree, and i have never seen diamond since but it was a good food, and very costly. But seriously, i would like to know if i shouldnt be feeding iams, but i want good solid facts, like i said my cats like it, and i like they way they look now compared to what they did before. thanx

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I guess we all have our opinions, but I've stated mine - I don't like dry food at all for my cats.
I didn't think it was good to feed just wet, I heard their teeth get soft, or some thing like that. I know that wet food probley is better, because of the meat content verses dry with mostly grain content, but that was some thing i had heard, what do you find? If you only feed wet then you must have personal expiriences you can share with me as far as the teeth condition feeding just wet, I am a cat person now, but not so much that i brush their teeth, LOL but isnt the dry good, helps to srape tarter, or some thing?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

Why switch? can you tell me why iams isnt as good as this other brand? you said switch but didnt give the reason why, I have feed my cats iams for over a year now and have noticed a change in them. I always got what ever was cheapest, as far as i was concerned they were lucky I got them any thing, if they were hungry go catch a mouse. But now being a cat person and raising cats I decided to get the best i could for them and ended up with iams, its the only thing that "honey" doesnt throw up, and after a litter of kittens my queen is healthy and doesnt loose weight like she did her first litter feeding friskies, 9 lives, ect. she had lost so much weight after her first litter she got sick and i had to bring her to the vets. now she doesnt loose weight. I have recently heard iams has lab animals that arent treated so well, but other then that i think the food is good quality, and there isn't too much more expensive then iams. so if some one gave me a real good reason to switch, i would be more then happy to check out other brands, untill then i guess iams it is, its certainly better then meow mix or some of the others with the red dyes that makes my "Honey" sick. I had heard of the Diamond, there was a pet store in my town that had it but they moved since then. I used it for my dogs, i was always a dog person and feed them what i thought was good food, (at the time it was pedigree lamb and rice) but my ex-boyfriends mother thought she was doing me a favor and bought any thing cheap, and i mean any thing, old roy, chuck wagon, all the bad ones, and when my boxer went bald, my vet asked my if i switched his food, and of course the answer was yes, he told me cheap food if its the same kind is better then switching foods, but some thing better quality and lamb would be best so thats when i found the diamond lamb and rice, and within weeks his coat was back and he looked great, but she closed her store shortly after that and i went back to pedigree, and i have never seen diamond since but it was a good food, and very costly. But seriously, i would like to know if i shouldnt be feeding iams, but i want good solid facts, like i said my cats like it, and i like they way they look now compared to what they did before. thanx
I cant talk for Kitty but Felidea is far better than Iams in my book it has no by products ( heads feet and internal organs) no ground corn(the least digestable of the grains commonly used) no chemical preservatives..... I like my kitty to eat less , digest more , shed less and her box to be fresher ... when you choose a food with out corn and by products you often get that since it is usually formulated with far more digestable meats and grains...

IMHO Gayef is right not to like dry food ... It has been studied and not found to help with dental care ... dry food is cearal with some meat( for a human it would be like eating ceareal with fruit and milk everyday all day , you can surrvive) .. it can sustain and some higher end brands have some benifit but wet is beter and if you can homemade and raw are likely best ..
I personally feed dry to one since she isnt keen on anything else I have tried ...

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I didn't think it was good to feed just wet, I heard their teeth get soft, or some thing like that. I know that wet food probley is better, because of the meat content verses dry with mostly grain content, but that was some thing i had heard, what do you find? If you only feed wet then you must have personal expiriences you can share with me as far as the teeth condition feeding just wet, I am a cat person now, but not so much that i brush their teeth, LOL but isnt the dry good, helps to srape tarter, or some thing?
This was the generally accepted way of thought until dental science became more directed towards animals. I know that in the Siamese as a breed, gingivitis and other gum issues are rampant in the breed's lines. When you already have a whole breed of cats susceptible to such problems and then you give them the pet food nutritional equal of junk food, those problems are exponentially increased. The dry food leaves a residue on the teeth which provides a very hospitable breeding ground for bacterial growth. That bacteria, if not removed and treated with regular dental cleanings and when necessary, a thorough sub-gingival scraping is linked to causing secondary systemic infections - and they quickly attack the renal system.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had never seen or heard of it, so I am unable to read labels for ingrediants, thanks for the input, I will have to check into it, but there are so many brands and they all claim to be good and It's so hard to know and every one has their oppinions, but thanks for getting back to me with more specifics, we appreciate it.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This was the generally accepted way of thought until dental science became more directed towards animals. I know that in the Siamese as a breed, gingivitis and other gum issues are rampant in the breed's lines. When you already have a whole breed of cats susceptible to such problems and then you give them the pet food nutritional equal of junk food, those problems are exponentially increased. The dry food leaves a residue on the teeth which provides a very hospitable breeding ground for bacterial growth. That bacteria, if not removed and treated with regular dental cleanings and when necessary, a thorough sub-gingival scraping is linked to causing secondary systemic infections - and they quickly attack the renal system.
Very useful, I did not know that.

Thanx

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good information!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

... I did have a little bit of an issue with the "animal digest" - I would like for it to be a specific animal but truth be told, in the wild, cats eat a wide variety of animal sources, so it doesn't phase me as badly.
In theory I would agree with you. But they don't have slaughterhouses in the wild, and slaughterhouses just happen to be pretty dirty, nasty places. Boiled-down random slaughterhouse leftovers are not the same thing as a cat eating, say, an entire mouse.

"Animal Digest - A powder or liquid made by taking clean, under-composed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and or emblematic hydrolysis. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto (i.e., chicken digest). Animal Digest is a cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. Any kind of animal can be included: goats, pigs, horses, rats, etc. The animals can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination."

That's also my issue with by-products. I have no issue with cats eating gizzards and intestines and other random animal parts. I have an issue with not knowing what parts they are, what proportions they're in, and what source they came from. I'd feed a product that contained "chicken intestines", no problem. But "chicken by-products"? I'll pass, thanks.

caholo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a major issue... The only food that got my cats back to heathy weight and coat is being discontinued. Plus its the most I can afford for this type of food. All other foods I have tried for my cats, caused severe underweight and poor coats. they are self fed. The only food they can have is the Maxximum Nutrition Hairball controll. without spending an arm and a leg on a different kind if food that could make them sick again, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions. I need help ASAP!!

Thanks,
CAHOLO
Jamie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CAHOLO

I have a major issue... The only food that got my cats back to heathy weight and coat is being discontinued. Plus its the most I can afford for this type of food. All other foods I have tried for my cats, caused severe underweight and poor coats. they are self fed. The only food they can have is the Maxximum Nutrition Hairball controll. without spending an arm and a leg on a different kind if food that could make them sick again, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions. I need help ASAP!!

Thanks,
CAHOLO
Jamie
If you have a big pet store start there ie Petco Pet supply(?) Petsmart ..or if you have a pet shop that is small you can talk to someone go there ...

Purina one is nearly identical to Maxiumum

gigi2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I use both Maxximum cat and dog food. My animals love it. My animals both have nicer coats since I changed. Their poop is a little firmer and not squishy like it is on other brands. They still go the same amount of times per day(twice).

I was feeding Iams until I found out they do inhumane experiments on animals. I can't support that. I switched to Canidae and my dog didn't care for it. I tried Wellness and he really didn't like it. I read every package I picked up and out of all the products Walmart sells this has the most healthiest ingrediants. Canidae & Wellness are totally natural and I see no difference except they like the taste of Maxximum. I read many bags in Petsmart and you would be surprised the ingrediants in these top brands. Digest and bi-products are very common in high quality brands. Here is a link to the nutrition info on Maxximum

http://walmart.triaddigital.com/uplo...rmulasPack.pdf

I just wanted to share my experience with this product and other leading natural brands.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gigi2

Hi, I use both Maxximum cat and dog food. My animals love it. My animals both have nicer coats since I changed. Their poop is a little firmer and not squishy like it is on other brands. They still go the same amount of times per day(twice).

I was feeding Iams until I found out they do inhumane experiments on animals. I can't support that. I switched to Canidae and my dog didn't care for it. I tried Wellness and he really didn't like it. I read every package I picked up and out of all the products Walmart sells this has the most healthiest ingrediants. Canidae & Wellness are totally natural and I see no difference except they like the taste of Maxximum. I read many bags in Petsmart and you would be surprised the ingrediants in these top brands. Digest and bi-products are very common in high quality brands. Here is a link to the nutrition info on Maxximum

http://walmart.triaddigital.com/uplo...rmulasPack.pdf

I just wanted to share my experience with this product and other leading natural brands.
IF they have digest or animal dervived by products IMHO they are nt a good food .. NO actually I wouldnt as I have read every label within 35 miles of my home

mstishtwo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old vet used to push expensive cat food. My new vet does not. I feed them friskies soft and cat chow hard. They go to the vet regularly and are very healthy. Two of four are 13 years old. I don't think expensive is better but that's my opinion. PS I love my cats ALOT and if I thought expensive would be better...they would have it.

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I persoanlly use Maxximum, and my cats love it, with NO health issues... i started on maxx indoor ( hairball-weight control) then 1 day Walmart sold it no more... so I switched to Adult... funny thing about walmart is they will just stop selling something...which sucks for pets that need time to adjust to new formulas, so now i buy 2 bags at a time, and ALWAYS have 1 bag stored ( switching out the new ones, so to always have freshest stored ) so IF they stop selling my brand again, I have a bag stored to help make the transission.!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mstishtwo

My old vet used to push expensive cat food. My new vet does not. I feed them friskies soft and cat chow hard. They go to the vet regularly and are very healthy. Two of four are 13 years old. I don't think expensive is better but that's my opinion. PS I love my cats ALOT and if I thought expensive would be better...they would have it.
I find that there is a lot of confusion over "expensive" versus "quality".

Quality food does not need to be expensive and quality food ends up being less expensive than junk food in the long-term since the cat requires less food in order to get the total nutrition it needs.

I learned this through Orijen. Since we started feeding Orijen, the cats eat much less, the litter box contains less as well which saves on litter, so the savings of feeding quality food are beneficial to both me and the cats.

As Sharky will tell you, there are good foods out there that are not expensive and we are all aware that expensive is not necessarily better. Read, read and re-read the labels.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I find that there is a lot of confusion over "expensive" versus "quality".

Quality food does not need to be expensive and quality food ends up being less expensive than junk food in the long-term since the cat requires less food in order to get the total nutrition it needs.

I learned this through Orijen. Since we started feeding Orijen, the cats eat much less, the litter box contains less as well which saves on litter, so the savings of feeding quality food are beneficial to both me and the cats.

As Sharky will tell you, there are good foods out there that are not expensive and we are all aware that expensive is not necessarily better. Read, read and re-read the labels.
Here is the foods I find of decent to good at the grocery or big box non pet stores

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=grocery+foods

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=grocery+foods
that is one on less $$ premiums

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not about the expense. You're right that expensive does not equal good. It's about the quality of the ingredients. There is an enormous difference between what I feed now (Felidae) and what I used to feed (Iams). Cheap ingredients commonly found in dog and cat foods are wheat gluten, corn (in any form), inspecific animal sources, byproducts, coloring dyes, and things that aren't horrendous but I much prefer not to have, like beet pulp and dried egg product.
It's my personal goal to not feed food from any grocery store or retail store again. If I am absolutely desperate Kirkland is better than a lot of grocery store brands.
Animals can do fine on low quality food, but that still doesn't change what is in the foods. I'm sure I can do fine if I eat french fries and cheese sandwiches every day but that doesn't make what I'm eating any more nutritious.
Just my .02.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

It's not about the expense. You're right that expensive does not equal good. It's about the quality of the ingredients. There is an enormous difference between what I feed now (Felidae) and what I used to feed (Iams). Cheap ingredients commonly found in dog and cat foods are wheat gluten, corn (in any form), inspecific animal sources, byproducts, coloring dyes, and things that aren't horrendous but I much prefer not to have, like beet pulp and dried egg product.
It's my personal goal to not feed food from any grocery store or retail store again. If I am absolutely desperate Kirkland is better than a lot of grocery store brands.
Animals can do fine on low quality food, but that still doesn't change what is in the foods. I'm sure I can do fine if I eat french fries and cheese sandwiches every day but that doesn't make what I'm eating any more nutritious.
Just my .02.
Well said. I'm one of those folks that believe if the diet isn't good (whether human or animal) it will catch up with you as you age. We can get away with eating a lot of junk when we are young, but I always wonder what it is doing to our bodies (and our animals) when we reach those later years.

I don't eat fast/junk food myself, don't feed it to my human family and wouldn't feed it to my animals. I don't use packaged foods or quick mixes. It may take me an extra 10 minutes to prepare something from scratch and sometimes I have to pre-plan dinners so we don't have to wait 2 hours to eat, but it's worth it to me for my family's health. I use the same logic for our cats. They are part of our family and as I said before, don't confuse expensive with quality. Quality will come out on top in many ways, including financial, in the long term.