Wake Your Cat To Eat ??

smeyers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All... I am changing my cat's eating schedule from 3 times a day to 4. The question is if it's time to eat and she's sleeping do you wake her, or let her eat when she wakes up which screws up the schedule. TIA.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you call for dinner, chances are she will wake up. I whistle at meal times and if I feed off schedule for some reason (usually because I will be out at the normal time) they still come. You can do the same with a clicker.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if she doesn't know the schedule yet, then wake her lazy butt up. Snap her into shape. You'll have to teach her the schedule. Fortunately, cats can go from sleep mode to murder mode in an instant. Give her a nudge to wake her. Turn on the laser pointer. Or use a wand toy. She'll snap to in an instant. Get her to play for a few minutes. Not only does this wake her up but it also gets her appetite primed. She will learn the new routine soon enough.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is there a particular reason you want to go from 3 to 4 feedings? More food, same amount, health related issues, or? Same food, different food?

If it is the same overall amount of food within a 24 hour period, then each feeding will be less than before and might just be enough to wake her up to come eat. Or, maybe she will be waiting to be fed? If she doesn't adhere to the new schedule right away, is it a big deal? I am sure if you make a routine with her about calling her each time (whether or not she is already waiting) for each meal, she will eventually pick up on the new schedule.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat - Gohan is super finicky and if he isn’t in the kitchen to be fed he won’t eat much anyway. And then Olive will eat it, the fatty. Olive will wake and eat anytime so I call her in no problem.

So unless your cat is super prissy about food I’d say wake her up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smeyers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Is there a particular reason you want to go from 3 to 4 feedings? More food, same amount, health related issues, or? Same food, different food?

If it is the same overall amount of food within a 24 hour period, then each feeding will be less than before and might just be enough to wake her up to come eat. Or, maybe she will be waiting to be fed? If she doesn't adhere to the new schedule right away, is it a big deal? I am sure if you make a routine with her about calling her each time (whether or not she is already waiting) for each meal, she will eventually pick up on the new schedule.
YUP ! I have a reason !! Here is a link to an article on Cat Centric.org on "How Often Should You feed Your Cat?". Very interesting, lots of good info. The article recommends a minimum of 3 times per day and 4 if you can handle it.
Here's the link... How often should you feed your cat?

smeyers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you call for dinner, chances are she will wake up. I whistle at meal times and if I feed off schedule for some reason (usually because I will be out at the normal time) they still come. You can do the same with a clicker.
Ha... Great thinking on your part... I was being more black and white (I usually always am!). So, I never thought of calling her and if she wakes then she eats... if she falls back to sleep and does not eat.. no worries !! Excellent !! Works for me.. Cheers !!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats were never on a schedule, mostly because our schedules kept changing, so it was best if everyone was flexible. Everyone was good with it. When food was put down they came. As kittens they were fed 5 times a day until they were a year old then 3 for a few months then twice once in the morning and once at night. I always fed them as soon as I got up.

the reason you might not want a schedule is with one some cats try to wake you up earlier every day or won't let you sleep in. If there is no schedule they don't know when earlier is.

smeyers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts... your reasoning is good, but Dior is VERY laid back. I'd rather have her on a schedule. I've had her for a few months, and she has never woke me up early in the am. She walks so slowly to the kitchen sometimes I wonder if she even wants to eat. She always does though. About waking me up.... Funny true story, sometimes I fall asleep sitting up while watching TV. She has come over twice now and given me a few headbutts to wake me! Cats are seriously cool and great to have around! What a blessing she is.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say Hi Cricket! And put the bowl in front of her. She usually eats.
Although we are not really on an exact schedule.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's aren't on a schedule per say, because I work odd hours but I have no reason to see why waking them up isn't an issue. I prepare food all the time while they are sleeping. When they hear their glass plates banging around they know its time to eat and wake up to come into the kitchen.