Waiting Watching, Worried.. Labor... Kittens!

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone. My cat is very pregnant. She lost her mucus plug on Saturday. Took her to the vet Friday and the vet said 1-3 days. Today is Monday no kittens.. she is at the latest count as I have no idea what day she got pregnant ( she disappeared from may10-13) came home pregnant.
She has been eating, drinking and sleeping no signs of labor.. should I keep waiting and watching?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! A cat can lose their mucus plug up to a week before delivery, so it should be soon now (see post #2 in this thread: She's lost her mucus plug over 24 hours ago.)

Your gorgeous cat looks like she has quite a bit of Siamese in her. Siamese cats do tend to have a longer gestation period than other cats, more like 70 days average, instead of 64.

This article gives some great info about what to look for as she gets closer to delivery: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is actually a purebred. We saw the parents but did not get her papers.. both were dark siamese. As for the kittens fingers crossed she found a siamese boyfriend!! We were not going to even breed her as she had a spray appointment the day she went missing.. I’ve seen some yellow/ bloody discharge spots and I think she is having contractions. How long should I give her to have these babies?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat got pregnant while I was waiting for an appointment to have my male fix first. The places were booked and the facilities were not working with me to fit me in for an appointment. They're pedigree Ragdolls and at the last moment, I decided not to have the kittens just before she got pregnant. At least most of the unborn kittens are spoken for. They will be adorable. The mother is a blue bicolor Ragdoll and the father is white point Ragdoll, solid white.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She is actually a purebred. We saw the parents but did not get her papers.. both were dark siamese. As for the kittens fingers crossed she found a siamese boyfriend!! We were not going to even breed her as she had a spray appointment the day she went missing.. I’ve seen some yellow/ bloody discharge spots and I think she is having contractions. How long should I give her to have these babies?
I was thinking she looked like a purebred, but I couldn't be certain, as there are a lot of Siamese lookalikes out there. If she's having contractions, it means the kittens should be there in the next few hours.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True, there are a lot of Siamese cat "knock offs" around.

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is having contractions but about every hour not indicating she is laboring though. I think may have them tonight but getting worried I’ll snap pictures to show you as soon as my baby is asleep
!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She is having contractions but about every hour not indicating she is laboring though. I think may have them tonight but getting worried I’ll snap pictures to show you as soon as my baby is asleep
!
Most cat deliveries go smoothly. I'd recommend having a phone nearby just in case you need to call the vet. Do you have the phone numbers of nearby emergency vets? Most likely, there won't be any problems, but it's always best to be prepared. This article lets you know about some things to look for, and when to intervene: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True!! a video can you guys see contact actions? I’ve been watching her since Friday when i thought she needed a c/section. (last 2 cats that got pregnant 13+ years ago) so worried a bit but hoping for the best

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stage one labor can last 24 hours. Unless mom is actively pushing with no success for an hour, there is no cause for alarm. Just be patient!

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True!! a video can you guys see contact actions? I’ve been watching her since Friday when i thought she needed a c/section. (last 2 cats that got pregnant 13+ years ago) so worried a bit but hoping for the best

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A3C062C2-F4AA-41B4-92BB-863C6B3D0687.jpeg
She is not actively pushing just checked on her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, she will be in labor for quite a few hours before she begins to deliver.

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Based on the fact that she is walking around and eating I doubt we will have kittens tonight, very disappointed as her vet will want to do a c/section tomorrow. They said to start thinking about it as she is past the estimated 3 days they gave on Friday. I really do not want her to have a c/section!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that a c-section is not necessary at this time. Just let the vet know that you plan to continue to wait since she is doing well, but that you’ll be in touch if anything changes.

R riversquinne

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My thoughts exactly! Last time I waited 13 years ago and 6 of 8 kittens end were dead and 1 I bottlefed.. so I don’t want the same thing to happen.. my cat now is a year old not 13 lol

riversquinne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
D8FE8544-51E5-445E-A6A8-6C78C8DF05DC.jpeg
DONT LOOK IF .. this is the discharge I saw on Saturday. Please tell me if this was the mucus plug as it is gone now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The count you gave, isnt dramatically late. Mating at earliest the 10 may, as latest the 13...
So it sooner depends on what the vet estimated the max 3 days on. Did they saw she dropped (perhas with ultrasound?), and thus, will deliver in about 3 days? Or did they take a count of days, say 64??

Im not saying waiting it out is always safe. I have seen examples when the vet and owner waited too long. But on the overall sheet of calculated risks, it pays heavily to wait it out.
Not only because cesarean does costs good money if insurance isnt covering this. The main reason is, cats tends to manage too long pregs better than humans. While kittens manage a too early delivery / too early cesarean much worse than humans.
And so, a too early cesarean results in premature kittens... With at best a fight uphill to try and save them.

For a human woman and her doc its no big problem. If there is a skilled obstetrician or surgeon around, they take the safe course and do cesarean. For cat owners the calculus is much more complicated and usually a waiting course is best.