Waiting for tooth to come out or nerve to die

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, everyone.
So, my 18 year old boy cracked a tooth and most, but not all, of it has come out. Due to his advanced age, the vet decided it would be best to not do surgery. Basically, we are waiting for either the nerve to die or the remainder of the tooth to come out on its own.

A clinic gave him pain meds and antibiotics a week ago to hold him over until today's appointment. The vet said to finish the antibiotics and then just watch for infection. They switched the pain meds, but only gave me 3 days worth, but said I could half the dose if it seemed too much.
The pain meds are refillable, but I am wondering how long I will need them. If they only last 3-6 days, I will be going back once or twice a week until the pain dies down.

So, my question is: does anyone have a similar experience? Any idea how long it might take the nerve to die and/or the remainder of the tooth to come out?

The pain meds are keeping him eating, so I want to make sure he has them if he needs them, but am hoping this doesn't last months.

I am also using Oxyfresh in the water, and I was told it was safe to start using the Oratene gel I used a week back but stopped due to the instructions saying no more than 7 days. She said it would be safe to use until the tooth came out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jikin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the pain medication?
They put him on Buprenorphine, every 12 hours as long as needed.
The one they took him off of was Meloxicam, every 24 hours.

He had just had a dose of Meloxicam yesterday before I took him to the vet, so he hasn't officially started the Buprenorphine yet. He should be about due for a dose, but I am watching him to see if it can be held off for a bit.

We think the tooth injury happened around 2 1/2 weeks ago. Not 100% certain on the day. So, it is still fairly recent. Unfortunately it coincided with me releasing 2 new kittens into the house full time. I thought his behavior was him pouting about the new family members no longer being locked up. It took a few days to realize it was his mouth.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is awful for your little guy. I searched around for anything similar on this site and didn't come up with much. Although, A Alldara had something similar some time ago, so maybe they can offer some insight? I think their cat had the tooth removed, but perhaps they can offer some indirect suggestions?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened to your guy.

I'm unsure why age itself would exclude him from the surgery he need sot feel better. Does he have conditions? Usually a vet does bloodwork to see if a cat, even an old one is able to get surgery. I got Nobel surgery to remove two teeth at age 15 and much of what I read online was about cats, older than Nobel and with more conditions than Nobel, getting surgery..Nobel had a detected heart murmur in his life. It's was grade 1 when he got surgery.

Personally, I'd go to another vet hospital, and see who can do the surgery for my cat while also using heart monitoring. Even if my cat has medical conditions, I'd ask for a second opinion on the surgery and a list of what to watch for if he cants get it.

He's at high risk for abscesses and other infections in his mouth. There's no guarantee that either the other part will come out or that the nerve will die.

What I'm worried about for your cat is this:
"In time, bacteria exiting the tooth’s apex can spread causing local tooth pain every time the cat chews and infection in other parts of the body."
Fractured Teeth in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals