Wailing Cat

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought my 13.5 year young Caribbean cat, Alfred to the US, a week ago. He is part Siamese and a talker. He is used to strangers caring for him as I have traveled back and forth for years, using friends/pet sitters. He is used to dogs and was raised with his siblings and one other cat. They all died and he has been alone at my Caribbean house for two years.

I decided to bring him to the US for many reasons. Here I live with my Caribbean doggie, Confy, same age who lived with my cat for 10 years. They are cool with each other. Also here is a 3 or 4 year old male rescue. His name is Gus. He is super chill and never makes a sound.

Week one, Alfred was in my guest room with his own box and food and soft music. i slept with him first night and then he did on his own. He used the litter box beautifully (having not used one since he was a kitten). Thur. I opened the door as he started to become interested in going out of the room. I had the scent of Gus on me and left a sock in the room and vice versa, for acclimation.

Last night he wailed for 7 hours straight. Nothing I could do could console him. He had free run of the house.

Gus is doing his own thing and aside from a few faces offs, where Alfred hissed and Gus did nothing, it's been peaceful. Confy is oblivious to it all and is happy as always.

Last night and today, Alfred has been roaming the house, anxiously and wailing. It's a true Siamese cry. He never did this at home in his entire life. It is the same noise he made on the plan for 12 hours.

I should say, in the Caribbean, Alfred slept on my bed all day and hunted at night. There are no predators on our island so he was free to roam. I'd wake to find him on the chaise, waiting to come in for the day. He had a great life. I now regret bringing him here. Sigh!

I need to sleep. I don't want him in my room at night (I have no pets ever in my bed).

What should I do?

I have rescue remedy in his water, BTW.

Stressed and trying not to show it/feel it

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote letting him sleep with you. My boys sleep next to me every night ... and I when I wake up I always have one cat snuggled next to me.

Can you start harness training him or secure your backyard so he can get some evening hunting time? He has had a LOT of changes recently. He might be missing his island people. Does he have a bird watching window?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love him to sleep with me if he slept. I have sleep issues, waking every two hours. With him, I may lose a night's sleep between my waking and his.

Yes, I have the harness from the flight but he is a Caribbean cat and it's pretty cold up here. I feel I need to wait. He has a double slider to look outside but does not seem interested. All he does is sleep, look sad and cry. I feel like uprooting him has ruined his life and mine..it's getting night time here and I am exhausted. I am in his room trying to keep him company and reading. My energy is off so, off to shower and meditate.

I read somewhere he needs to cry if off, getting used to a new home and that I should not give him (let him into my room) when he cries or he will always do that. BTW, he never did this in Bonaire, at our Caribbean home. When bedtime came, out he went in the rest of the house and he used the cat door to go out to hunt or sleep on patio.

I feel the poor boy needs some time to adjust, that's all but I feel a need to vent and solicit some advice. Much appreciation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thoughts on Feliway?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try it. I would also try playing with him throughout the day ... and a half hour before you go to sleep. Then feed him. Hopefully it will tucker him out enough to let you sleep.