Wacom Intuos tablet question

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I have an old Wacom Intuos 1 9x12 tablet that I adore and have adored for years... unfortunately, the computer I had it hooked up to that has a serial port decided to go pfft and that was that.

I'm now pondering my options... a new tablet is out of the question because they're WAY too expensive, so I'm thinking perhaps a serial port card for my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Furthermore... would Windows 7 even recognize drivers for the old dinosaur?

Maybe a new tablet is my only option at this point, but I sure hope not!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangeishcat

Hi all!

I have an old Wacom Intuos 1 9x12 tablet that I adore and have adored for years... unfortunately, the computer I had it hooked up to that has a serial port decided to go pfft and that was that.

I'm now pondering my options... a new tablet is out of the question because they're WAY too expensive, so I'm thinking perhaps a serial port card for my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Furthermore... would Windows 7 even recognize drivers for the old dinosaur?

Maybe a new tablet is my only option at this point, but I sure hope not!
What do you consider WAY too expensive? I bought my tablet a little while ago and I think it was about $100.... not small either.... Wacon - not Intuos, but works GREAT
When I bought it was $137 - now it's 169... it is 13"x 8.8"... Here you go: Wacon Bamboo Fun

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

What do you consider WAY too expensive? I bought my tablet a little while ago and I think it was about $100.... not small either.... Wacon - not Intuos, but works GREAT
When I bought it was $137 - now it's 169... it is 13"x 8.8"... Here you go: Wacon Bamboo Fun
Weeell, the new Intuos models at 9x12 are around $500- that's way too much!
I have an itteh bitteh Bamboo Fun that I like well enough, but the surface is textured, and that tends to bother me- is yours textured or smooth?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Weeell, the new Intuos models at 9x12 are around $500- that's way too much!
I have an itteh bitteh Bamboo Fun that I like well enough, but the surface is textured, and that tends to bother me- is yours textured or smooth?
Oh, totally, completely, undeniably smooth

Love the size of it, the controls, how it works for me, being left handed, the fact that works with fingers and pen, the sensitivity...
I was on a budget, and this was the best I could find for the $$$, definitely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Oh, totally, completely, undeniably smooth

Love the size of it, the controls, how it works for me, being left handed, the fact that works with fingers and pen, the sensitivity...
I was on a budget, and this was the best I could find for the $$$, definitely.

I may just have to buy myself one if I can't manage to get my old one working! That sounds absolutely divine!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I may just have to buy myself one if I can't manage to get my old one working! That sounds absolutely divine!
Oh yeah - totally recommend it... I know the Intuous is the pro version... but go and check the reviews and the specs on the one I sent you - It is good stuff for sure. And can't beat the price!
If I really really really had the money... I would go for an LCD one... but... ha! that's a dream that's just not going to happen! Too many vet bills to pay

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whty do you need to get rid of your current tablet?  Just invest in a "Serial to USB Adaptor".  Then you can plug in your tablet into a USB port.''

So far as drivers go, you can go to Wacom's site and check if there are any updated drivers for your tablet. There usually are.

Last edited: