Voracious appetite!

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jinx has been doing GREAT on raw. So great in fact, that he is feeling a little too well, because now he is being super naughty.

All of a sudden he has decided he LOVES his food, and he is eating at least double what he had been eating (not a bad thing - he needs to gain weight and I don't think he was eating as much as he should have been before). He snarfs it up and then asks for more. And more. lol. This isn't a big deal during the day, but it's become really problematic overnight when he has no food. Before bed, we get the next mornings breakfast ready for the dogs - and Jinx started eating it, and/or knocking it off the counter so in the morning there'd be dog kibble all over. Eating the dog food caused him to vomit a couple times. So, we stopped setting the dog food out ahead of time and thought this would end any trouble.

No such luck. He still continues scavenging for food at night. This morning my mom woke up to a package of cupcakes and cookies on the floor, that Jinx knocked off the counter. Such a BAD CAT lol.

Apparently going from midnight - 6 or 7am without food just doesn't jive well with him. But I'm not going to leave out a big bowl of raw meat for him to snack on overnight. Any ideas on how to resolve his late night cravings? Easiest solution would be to leave out canned or dry food for him, but he is on raw because he has IBD so I don't know if I really want to attempt to find something that won't upset his stomach.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I'm sorry to laugh at your pain - but it is kind of great to see he feels SO MUCH BETTER! I mean - he didn't want to eat before because he felt sick, and his food made him sick... and now he LOVES it! Aw - that makes me smile. :rub:

Question - the dogs won't eat the food you leave out for him? Because the overnight solution is easy. Divide up the amount of food into however many meals you want him to eat, including the overnight one. Put out frozen raw food before you go to sleep, and he'll eat it by morning. If you don't want to give him raw, for whatever reason, you can do the same with canned food. Buy an ice cube tray, freeze the canned food, and put out frozen ice cubed food for him to eat overnight.

This was just recommended to someone leaving a kitten alone all day, and it worked great for them. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap: I love it!! :lol3: Jinx trying to get into the cupcakes and cookies. Sounds like something my Walden or Wendall will do! Glad that he is eating so well. I know most people don't want to do this, but since I have dogs, I feed my cat's up on a counter :anon: That way the dogs can't bother them or eat the leftover food. You could also leave out overnight some freeze-dried raw pieces either from Stella and Chewey's or Vital Essentials. The frozen canned idea is just brilliant. Carolina suggested that to me just today for another reason, but it could really work for the overnight issue as well. Glad that Jinx is doing so well :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is kind of hilarious how much of a jerk he's being LOL. If I stay up late enough at night, it's not uncommon for me to hear BOOM CRASH as he starts knocking things down. NAUGHTY!!!!

I never thought about giving it to him frozen! I have no problem with him getting raw at night, I just wasn't comfortable potentially having meat sitting out all night (although at the rate he's been eating, he definitely wouldn't let it sit out that long!). But a frozen raw cupcake would make me less paranoid since it'd take some time for it to even thaw. Most of the battle though would be seeing if he'll actually eat something frozen....
  The dogs sleep with me at night, so definitely no worries there.

It is nice to see him feeling so good and so mischievous now, I will admit

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I think it's worth a shot - the idea is that it'll dethaw, and when he's hungry in the wee hours of the morning, enough will be dethawed he'll be able to eat it. If you try it, let us know how (or if!) it works, please? :cross: :)