Vomiting

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

Sorry if this was posted before, I am at work and cannot scroll through all the threads

I have 2 cats, last weekend (not this past one) on Friday I came home and there was about 5 piles of throw up on the floor. The big ones had halfway digested dry food in them and then as the smaller ones ended up just like a brownish yellow liquid, there was one small one closer to white in color.
No throw up again until Monday, and that was just a pile of the similar stuff
Now today I am getting ready for work and step into one pile of it, this time it was the same yellowish brown but with only like 1 piece of dry food in it. Since I stepped in it, I did attempt to look at what cat hairs were in it and determined it was my 1 year old female cat (I know that's not enough to tell 100% which cat but they don't really groom each other)

Long story short, what could it be? Even if its not my female cat and its my male cat, they both eat like normal, he is very playful, she is somewhat playful (more on the lazy side) if you're doing what she likes lol They both have regular bathroom breaks

I am hoping its not a serious issue, any input is greatly appreciated. I read online if they throw up more than like 3 times a month to take them to the vet and we are about there

FYI neither of them have thrown up before and I have had the female for about 10 months and the boy for 9 months

THANKS ALL!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My initial response would be to have a vet look at her.

Based on my experience, when my cat started to throw up undigested dry food frequently I pitched the food and switched brands and she never threw up again for a year. She doesn't get a lot of dry food, so that was an easy fix. Yes, she had been eating the food for months, but whatever works. Also, my cat doesn't do hairballs like a lot of cats, but occasionally throws up little masses of hair. I usually step up the brushing when that happens, as I pretty much brush every day anyway. Normally that only happens about once every couple months, if that. My cat is currently going through a bit of an uptick in throwing up, which she does rarely most of the time. I have noticed that she is eating random plant material the appears in the barf. She is otherwise fine and eats all her food, poops, and seems to feel OK so I am taking a wait and see. She was just at the vet for a well check. If past performance is any indication, she should move on from this. Your cats are young, so you really haven't had a chance to see what is normal for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My initial response would be to have a vet look at her.

Based on my experience, when my cat started to throw up undigested dry food frequently I pitched the food and switched brands and she never threw up again for a year. She doesn't get a lot of dry food, so that was an easy fix. Yes, she had been eating the food for months, but whatever works. Also, my cat doesn't do hairballs like a lot of cats, but occasionally throws up little masses of hair. I usually step up the brushing when that happens, as I pretty much brush every day anyway. Normally that only happens about once every couple months, if that. My cat is currently going through a bit of an uptick in throwing up, which she does rarely most of the time. I have noticed that she is eating random plant material the appears in the barf. She is otherwise fine and eats all her food, poops, and seems to feel OK so I am taking a wait and see. She was just at the vet for a well check. If past performance is any indication, she should move on from this. Your cats are young, so you really haven't had a chance to see what is normal for them.

Yea I do a mix of wet and dry. I do brush them or try to at least once a day but the female has such fine silky hair that the brush barely grabs anything.. when petting though, there is some fur that comes off. I have no plants or anything they could be eating to cause it so I might just take her to the vet like you said. It just was not sure what to do since its not every day and there was a week between the last time

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Within a more or less 10 day period ? if I am following your time frame, there has been consistent vomiting, so I agree that going to the vet is a good idea. It might be the food and nothing more serious than that, but better to be safe and get an opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Within a more or less 10 day period ? if I am following your time frame, there has been consistent vomiting, so I agree that going to the vet is a good idea. It might be the food and nothing more serious than that, but better to be safe and get an opinion.
Yea, now if only I could confirm 100 percent which cat it is to take the right one to the vet, that's the next step.
Thanks