Vomiting Water In The Middle Of The Night

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my old man Theo has been with me since November. He's about 17 now (according to the shelter). He has hyperthyroidism and is on medication for it. Last time his levels were tested everything was good. He's had diarrhea the entire time he has been here. We've literally tried everything. I'm thinking of changing his food again to try something else but I can't seem to find the source. He does seem ok with it, always uses the litter box and has no issues with eating. He loves eating!! He was skin and bones when i got him from the shelter. They are providing him with medical care as part of the adoption. When i took him the shelter told me he was basically a hospice case and i shouldn't expect long. It's almost been a year. He came to me on Prednisolone and an appetite pill. They said he didn't like eating. The pills made him crave food in a very aggressive way. He couldn't sleep when he took them because he just kept going to the bowl. I stopped giving him the pills and he still eats as much as he can. He loves eating. sits and pouts if he doesn't get food. Because of the Thyroidism i give him whatever he wants. He's gained weight and even some muscle is coming back slowly. He is way better then when i brought him home. The shelter told me he had been in a home and only at the shelter a few days before i adopted him. I can not figure out what happened to him. I have to imagine he was protesting his food by starving himself and they didn't know what was going on. (just now i had to stop typing to feed him because he was walking around crying for food.) So anyways at night i can't leave food out. My other cats just eat it. I have dry food out all the time for all my cats. But Theo doesn't eat it. instead he drinks about 3 cups of water and comes down the hall and vomits it up. And he is the loudest vomiter i have ever heard. I don't think it is a medical problem because he only does it when he hasn't had food in a few hours. I usually wake up and feed him if i hear it but if I don't wake up fast enough he continues to drink more and do it again. I think this may have been his way of getting the previous owners to feed him but i don't know how to stop it. I'm tired of waking up to feed him in the middle of the night but i will keep doing it if i have to. Any suggestions? anyone dealt with this? I've never had a cat that was basically starved. I know the thyroidism can cause them to lose weight but this was more then that. He never needed to be on the pred or the appetite pill. He eats plenty good without those. This is way longer then i intended...

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he will not eat dry food, but will eat wet food? If i read that right he is wanting wet food at night? Is there anyway you can put him in a different area at night so the other cats will not eat his wet food? I think he would need to have access to what he will eat, at all times, if possible?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has a voice like no cat i've ever seen. he can scream. there is no way i could lock him up I've tried. He cries so loud the neighbors wouldn't sleep lol. we don't close doors in this house none of them tolerate that.

Yes he eats strictly wet food. i was giving him kitten chow for a little while but the other cats just ate that too and all started getting fat so i stopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before i went to bed last night i told Theo if he gets hungry to just come meow and i will get up and feed him. at 7am he came in the room and meowed really loud to let us know he was hungry. but i still found 2 little water puddles where he puked before he tried the meowing. My boyfriend and i laughed that he had listened about meowing because he never did this before i told him to.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stomach acids that have no food to act on can cause vomiting/nausea. Does he still yell if you keep him in the room with you? There are times feeds with a place to keep an ice pack.

Since he's good at asking for food prepare enough plastic covered containers with his food. Put them in a small ice chest with a cold pack next to your bed. Give him the first one when you get in bed. He would probably learn quickly to wake you and you can lean off the bed and get him a container.