vomiting right after eating

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat a new food today and he immediately started puking. I am not sure if he ate too fast or if it was the food. He wanted food right after.  How can I tell the difference(I threw out the food)

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I gave my cat a new food today and he immediately started puking. I am not sure if he ate too fast or if it was the food. He wanted food right after.  How can I tell the difference(I threw out the food)
The easiest and safest thing to do is to return to the old food.  Why did you switch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find a food my cat won't get sick of after a week. It's frustrating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He likes natural balance as of today so I am sticking with that. He likes shredded chicken tyoes which is hard to find. There is wervuva but not a store close to me, trying to see if I can get online. Thank you!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can you rotate between foods he likes for a while?
Based on my experience with our two picky eaters, I'd second StephenQ's suggestion: our cats get bored with their food very easily so we feed them several brands of raw and canned foods in multiple flavors each. It keeps them eating consistently. They also like shredded chicken and get a lot of Weruva and Tiki.

Good luck @js124!

mum of two

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat would vomit if he ate too fast and too much, which is normal.

He would vomit if he had hair balls, which is normal.

He would vomit if he ate grass, which is normal.

It happens weekly, but if he vomited more than once a day, or vomited daily he needs to go to the vet. It happened once to my cat and after lab tests it appeared his immune system was very low. He was hospitalized for a few days.

Also, if he vomits and has other symptoms he needs a vet asap.

Last edited:

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try feeding him that food again, but only in a really small nibble so he can't eat it too fast. Maybe it smelled especially good so he ate faster than normal. Maybe he ran around more and was hungrier than normal. There's not really any way of telling if it was something wrong with the food or him eating too fast without trying it again.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mimi had the same issue lately. You just have to keep an eye on the Kitty the next days. See if he vomits with the old food too.

aisha5000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are trying different foods and he is still vomiting, I'd take him to the vet (well, a visit is probably necessary anyways). This happened to my cat. He became dehydrated and was given iv fluids. When they xrayed him they found a foreign object in his belly. He had swallowed a plastic piece and had to have it surgically removed. After that he was good as new. Don't wait, because in some cases, after only 48 hours of improper nutrition, it can have a serious impact on the liver and possibly other organs. I'm sure your cat will be fine, especially if it is healthy, but I would still contact the vet as soon as you're able so they can find out what's bothering your baby.

aisha5000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But like others have said, if he is only vomiting on occasion, and not after every time he eats, I would just keep an eye on him and monitor him for other symptoms. Otherwise go to the vet. And monitor his litter box to check for changes in digestive habits/color/odor, etc. This can be a good indicator of a felines health.