Vomiting - Multiple Cats and When to go to Vet

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
*I did call and speak to the vet already and they said no need to come yet. Told me to call back if litter changes, more vomiting or lethargy*

I have 2 cats and I have no idea who vomited and who's poos are soft. No idea if related, and the poo is not concerning soft, it's formed, but I'm keeping an eye for it to go further.

The rule is more than 2 vomiting a month to see a vet. We've had 2 vomits in 4 days.
- normal play and eating habits
- normal "output" in litter, stool of one cat a bit soft
- pinch test for hydration fine
-gums fine

The first could have been regurgitation and the second was mostly bile with a bit of undigested food.

If I have to go and bring both of them in, I want to be efficient about this as I don't have a car. So I would appreciate feedback from the community. I think I'll need to take stool samples.

*Vet asked if I could separate them and then together we laughed. She agreed it would cause them too much stress as she witnessed their bond when we brought them in.

Calcifer - indoor only, eating new cat grass that I grew inside from seed.

Magnus - leashed walks, has eaten outside grass. No treatment on the grass this year. The area has birds, rabbits, squirrels, mice, rats and other people's cats and dogs. We used pet friendly ice melt this year and it's rained a lot before the grass grew and he could eat it. He also ate a whole leaf off of a non-toxic indoor plant sometime after the first vomit occurred.

Recently I had to buy a mixed box of food and they had tuna for the first time. Magnus has food allergies, but he didn't have tuna last night and there was a tablespoon of digested chicken and rice with bile this AM.

Shots are up to date.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Here's the thing, looking at your description of what each cat has ingested recently, one vomit could have been from Calcifer and the other from Magnus.

Anyway, in my opinion the trip, when/if, should include both of them, and you're right, stool samples would be a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Here's the thing, looking at your description of what each cat has ingested recently, one vomit could have been from Calcifer and the other from Magnus.

Anyway, in my opinion the trip, when/if, should include both of them, and you're right, stool samples would be a good idea.
They decided to become a herd of elephants while I was on the phone with the vet. 🤣

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They decided to become a herd of elephants while I was on the phone with the vet. 🤣
How little cat feet can generate so much dramatic noise during the zoomies is one of life's little joys. 🤣. I hope their tummy troubles settle down.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have done this when it has been unclear who is responsible for what, especially with bonded cats. Bring them both in and bring samples from each if you can.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today's poos were shaped but soft. Nobody has thrown up again so far. If they throw up again I'll collect that days poo and bring em on in.

They just had bloodwork done in the last 2 months, so I'm not sure if that's necessary?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: Wednesday night Magnus had a poo that was diarrhea. (He has had tuna that day) I know it was him because Calcifer was on my wife cuddled up and I heard him digging. and I cleaned it immediately, and had just cleaned it before sitting down.

I gave both boys probiotics mixed with Churu and a little of the Pure Bites stomach packet.

Thursday: there were 3 poos in the boxes. Normally each cat only poos once a day. The one poo was slightly more solid than the one from the night before, and the second was VERY soft still but formed and the third was a normal poo.

I gave each cat more of the same mixture last night.

Since we are moving towards normal and there's been no more vomiting, I'm inclined to see what happens tonight. We haven't given any more tuna. My vet is open tomorrow so if it's still diarrhea poos, I'll call Saturday morning and see if they want the boys in.

They're still both acting fine. Makes me think it could be a food intolerance because Magnus has allergies anyway. He's had Catit tubes with tuna in it...but the amount of tuna could be the issue if it's a simple intolerance.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could also be just the food change in general. Fish and chicken are the most common food allergy or intolerance in cats.
Certainly not ruling it out!
Chicken and fish are the two things is good with usually 🤣 he's allergic to beef and beef by-products. He's had tuna Catit tubes before without an allergy flare so I'm thinking an intolerance. Of course, he could also have picked up a virus on his wall that he's just successful fought off.