Vomiting immediately after eating raw?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

Here are their weights:
Walter - 9 lb, Nelson 11.5 lb, Mandy - 6lb, Helen - 6.5 lb
I split one NV patty in the AM and 1 in the PM, giving the boys more than the girls. The feeding recommendation on the bag is 1/2 patty per day per 10 pounds of weight.

It should be noted that they are sphynx, so they tend to eat slightly more than some furred cats, and they've all maintained healthy weights since switching to the raw diet. Still, many people I've talked to that feed their sphynx commercial raw foods have had to double the recommended amount in order to satisfy their cat's appetite. I'm sure a lot of that is just persistent sphynx behavior, they are always begging for something (food, attention, whatever) but when they keep going back and licking their clean plates over and over, I can tell they're still hungry!
Have you thought about adding a third patty to their daily intake? At those weights, and considering their higher energy needs, I think it might be a good idea.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Have you thought about adding a third patty to their daily intake? At those weights, and considering their higher energy needs, I think it might be a good idea.
I would completely agree... but since your moving brands you may not have this issue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by sharky

I would completely agree... but since your moving brands you may not have this issue
I have considered it, but although hungry, none are losing any weight on the current portions. Would there be a risk of weight gain if they were fed more??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have considered it, but although hungry, none are losing any weight on the current portions. Would there be a risk of weight gain if they were fed more??
always a risk as with anything but if my thinking is right you should be just by wt going threw 3 patty's a day .. half of one per girl =1 and one patty per boy...and Guidelines are just that some need more others less ...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try it for a week and see how it goes, weighing them at the same time of day before and after the week starts and ends.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Try it for a week and see how it goes, weighing them at the same time of day before and after the week starts and ends.
Beautiful advise

note to Carolina ... make pm space

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update for those that have been following this thread -

I returned both bags of freezer burned NV food to the pet store and bought a different brand from a different store. Mandy (the one who was vomiting) absolutely LOVES the new food and (drum roll) NO VOMITING!!!

I think I may keep Mandy on poultry. I'm guessing beef and pork are just too rich for her and that's why she vomits right after eating it.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your input!