Vomiting immediately after eating raw?

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I've been feeding my 4 sphynx a completely raw diet for about 3 months now. I switched (reluctantly, I'll admit) because one of my boys had diarrhea on every single other food I gave him. Within 48 hours of feeding him raw food, he had solid poop.
I also have noticed wonderful improvements in my other kitties since making the switch, so I have vowed that I'm never going back to kibble and cans!!

I've been feeding Nature's Variety frozen raw. Mainly for convenience and because I don't trust myself to mix everything and give them all their nutrients - I've decided to leave that up to the experts. I've been trying the different proteins with them. None of the four of them were ever excited about chicken, so I switched to venison for a while, which was okay, then I tried beef. My girl, Mandy throws up the beef EVERY SINGLE TIME she eats it, immediately after eating. I also noticed it was really fatty, so just decided not to give any of them beef anymore and switched them to lamb. Lamb has been great for several weeks until this morning, Mandy vomited immediately after eating the lamb!

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? Help! I really don't want to put her back on kibble, but is it possible that Mandy just isn't suited for raw? (that wouldn't make sense to me, because aren't all healthy cats suited for raw?!)

A little background on Mandy, she's 2.5 years old, perfectly healthy, normal BM's, normal activity level, never been a big eater, and she was the hardest one to transition to raw - it took weeks! She will only eat the pre-made raw, she won't go near the fresh raw chicken necks that the rest of my guys go crazy for.

Thanks, everyone. This looks like a great resource...I look forward to your advice!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest giving her what she ate before and consulting with your vet to be on the safe side ... It could be the types of meat your serving or the brand..
No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

Information given by posters here are not based on your pet’s full history, and are by people who most likely do not have a degree in veterinary medicine. There are many home remedies, as well as approved veterinary treatments for cat health problems that may work for one cat, but be lethal for another cat. Please discuss any potential treatments with your vet first to ensure you are treating the right problem, and not potentially making it worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would suggest giving her what she ate before and consulting with your vet to be on the safe side ... It could be the types of meat your serving or the brand..
No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

Information given by posters here are not based on your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s full history, and are by people who most likely do not have a degree in veterinary medicine. There are many home remedies, as well as approved veterinary treatments for cat health problems that may work for one cat, but be lethal for another cat. Please discuss any potential treatments with your vet first to ensure you are treating the right problem, and not potentially making it worse.
Thanks, Sharky. Understood, completely.

I was working closely with my vet when I switched the cats over to a raw diet. He was not in complete agreement with my decision, as many vets usually aren't when it comes to feeding raw, but after he saw the results I had with Nelson's diarrhea - it completely stopped when nothing else worked - I can say he's had a little bit of a change of heart.

I'll also add that I'm a very overprotective catmom, probably to the point of irritating my vet! I've got him on speed dial, and he knows me and my cats very, very well! I've made him a rich man this year, lol.

I'd just like to compare notes with other raw feeders out there. I thought the problem was solved when I stopped feeding Mandy beef. She's been eating the raw lamb for over a month with no issues but vomited today, just like she used to with the beef, within a minute or two of eating it.

I'm wondering if it's just too rich for her and she might do better with chicken and turkey? Thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well beef and lamb are NOT at all related ( thinking in oriental medicine here
) but poultry may be worth a try ... she has eaten the lamb till today with NO issues >?? If so I would likely try the lamb once more and see , maybe it is a fluke

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating too fast can cause vomiting, as can swallowing chunks without cutting them down enough.

The only vomiting I had an issue with during transition was with Rachel and beef. She really likes beef and was tossing the pieces down without chewing them properly. I cut them smaller for her until she got the hang of chewing, and that was the end of vomiting issues.

If you're offering commercially-prepared raw, you're likely not serving chunks, thought, correct? How fast does Mandy eat? Does she seem concerned about the other cats eating her food?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Eating too fast can cause vomiting, as can swallowing chunks without cutting them down enough.

The only vomiting I had an issue with during transition was with Rachel and beef. She really likes beef and was tossing the pieces down without chewing them properly. I cut them smaller for her until she got the hang of chewing, and that was the end of vomiting issues.

I have to be *very* careful when I feed Coco *any* food, raw or not, that she loves. She will sometimes vacuum up her portion really fast then go to Jeta and Zara's plates and scarf up their leftovers. 15 mins later, up it all comes!

I assume it is like with humans. It takes the brain a few minutes to catch up with the stomach. That is, we don't actually feel full until a little bit after we finish eating. With raw ground, like what I feed, Coco can suck it up really fast, before her brain has a chance to tell her she's full.

With her I watch carefully when I give her a food I know she really likes, like lamb or pork. If I see she is in "vacuum mode" I let her finish her portion then pick up any leftovers on the other plates until at least 30 minutes later.

Just a couple of days ago I didn't watch her closely and about 15 mins after feeding her I had about 4 oz of raw pork in the middle of the floor! Yuck!

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If you're offering commercially-prepared raw, you're likely not serving chunks, thought, correct? How fast does Mandy eat? Does she seem concerned about the other cats eating her food?
That's a good thought, but Mandy is a really slow eater - especially when it comes to raw...it took me 2 weeks to transition her completely to it, and I still think she only eats it because that's her only option!

I've just noticed, though, the lamb that Mandy threw up was from a brand new bag. Usually the cats eat everything on their plates, but I'm now feeding them for a third time from this new bag, and for the third time, they aren't finishing their food. I wonder if there isn't something wrong with it. It looks and smells fine to me, but they might be smelling something I can't smell?

Or, is it common for them to like the food for a month and then suddenly decide they don't like it anymore?

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I have to be *very* careful when I feed Coco *any* food, raw or not, that she loves. She will sometimes vacuum up her portion really fast then go to Jeta and Zara's plates and scarf up their leftovers. 15 mins later, up it all comes!

I assume it is like with humans. It takes the brain a few minutes to catch up with the stomach. That is, we don't actually feel full until a little bit after we finish eating. With raw ground, like what I feed, Coco can suck it up really fast, before her brain has a chance to tell her she's full.

With her I watch carefully when I give her a food I know she really likes, like lamb or pork. If I see she is in "vacuum mode" I let her finish her portion then pick up any leftovers on the other plates until at least 30 minutes later.

Just a couple of days ago I didn't watch her closely and about 15 mins after feeding her I had about 4 oz of raw pork in the middle of the floor! Yuck!
I had this exact problem with my girl Helen, after I brought two more cats into the house. I guess she thought the new kids were going to take her food if she didn't inhale it, and then - puke! Solved the problem by feeding her on the other side of the room.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

Or, is it common for them to like the food for a month and then suddenly decide they don't like it anymore?
Are you feeding only lamb now? Mine seem to get tired of a particular meat if fed too often. They seem to get tired of beef pretty fast. I try to have at least 4 different meats that I cycle through.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...Or, is it common for them to like the food for a month and then suddenly decide they don't like it anymore?
Quite common, unfortunately.
Cats have a biological imperative to eat a variety of prey. The Evolutionary Basis for the Feeding Behavior of Domestic Dogs and Cats

That's not to say there's nothing wrong with the pork. If I were you, I might stop feeding that particular batch... and I would definitely start feeding a variety of food items, on a daily basis if you can.

Hmmm, I keep forgetting you're feeding commercial products.... have you looked to see if there are any recalls or complaints about this food or manufacturer? Do you have anything else you could offer the cats?

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Quite common, unfortunately.
Cats have a biological imperative to eat a variety of prey. The Evolutionary Basis for the Feeding Behavior of Domestic Dogs and Cats

That's not to say there's nothing wrong with the pork. If I were you, I might stop feeding that particular batch... and I would definitely start feeding a variety of food items, on a daily basis if you can.

Hmmm, I keep forgetting you're feeding commercial products.... have you looked to see if there are any recalls or complaints about this food or manufacturer? Do you have anything else you could offer the cats?
Yes! I have searched for a recall, and plan to call the manufacturer on Monday morning. (They aren't open today) I have some Felidae kibble I could feed them for breakfast.

If there is a problem with the food, how quickly would I start to see signs? They ate it for the first time 24 hours ago and all are doing fine- except Mandy's vomiting the one time, and otherwise she is normal, too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes! I have searched for a recall, and plan to call the manufacturer on Monday morning. (They aren't open today) I have some Felidae kibble I could feed them for breakfast.

If there is a problem with the food, how quickly would I start to see signs? They ate it for the first time 24 hours ago and all are doing fine- except Mandy's vomiting the one time, and otherwise she is normal, too.
unfortunately food poisoning signs can be big like continuous vomiting or failing to eat to subtle signs like being quieter than usual ..

Do they normally have access to the kibble?

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

unfortunately food poisoning signs can be big like continuous vomiting or failing to eat to subtle signs like being quieter than usual ..

Do they normally have access to the kibble?
I don't leave kibble out for them, they don't get it every day, but often times a few hours after they've eaten their raw, I have 8 hungry eyes staring up at me and will offer them a tiny bit of kibble in the evenings. (about 1/8th cup each)

The guys are showing no signs of being ill, whatsoever. In fact, Walter is picking at the raw food, but its about time for me to pick it up! Mandy is attacking a hair tie, Helen is on my lap and Nelson is taking a nap. All seems normal on the homefront, except for the food left on their plates. urgh.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't leave kibble out for them, they don't get it every day, but often times a few hours after they've eaten their raw, I have 8 hungry eyes staring up at me and will offer them a tiny bit of kibble in the evenings. (about 1/8th cup each)

The guys are showing no signs of being ill, whatsoever. In fact, Walter is picking at the raw food, but its about time for me to pick it up! Mandy is attacking a hair tie, Helen is on my lap and Nelson is taking a nap. All seems normal on the homefront, except for the food left on their plates. urgh.
I understand about multiple hungry mouths ... and am glad you are seprating raw from kibble

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no telling what the problem is. The food could be perfectly fine and your cats just happen to be tired of eating it. Mandy could have a hairball or something else just as common that could explain the vomiting.

I would stop feeding the food, watch the kitties, and contact the manufacturer, then stay away from lamb for a month or so (if there is something wrong with it, the cats will remember and may choose not to eat lamb for awhile).

If at all possible, I wouldn't feed them the kibble, though. It's just not a good product for a cat (and a taste of the kibble might set you back on your transition). Maybe you could run down to the grocery store and pick up some chicken thighs or canned food?

I wouldn't worry, personally, until I saw some sign in addition to Mandy's vomiting and the cats being off the food (although I admit I'd be watching them like a hawk
). <<<hugs>>>

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

There's no telling what the problem is. The food could be perfectly fine and your cats just happen to be tired of eating it. Mandy could have a hairball or something else just as common that could explain the vomiting.

I would stop feeding the food, watch the kitties, and contact the manufacturer, then stay away from lamb for a month or so (if there is something wrong with it, the cats will remember and may choose not to eat lamb for awhile).

If at all possible, I wouldn't feed them the kibble, though. It's just not a good product for a cat (and a taste of the kibble might set you back on your transition). Maybe you could run down to the grocery store and pick up some chicken thighs or canned food?

I wouldn't worry, personally, until I saw some sign in addition to Mandy's vomiting and the cats being off the food (although I admit I'd be watching them like a hawk
). <<<hugs>>>
Definitely taking the food back to the store tomorrow, and going to call the manufacturer - but I think I've discovered the problem. I had my friend take some photos of her NV patties and email them to me to compare, because I thought mine looked a little bit "off" this time when I opened the package. It turns out mine came from the store badly freezer burned. *sigh*

So, that would explain why the cats don't want to eat it! I've got some canned food I can give them tomorrow and will pick up some new food (not lamb!) from a different store.

Indeed, I'll be watching them like a hawk, just in case!

Thanks much!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow, what a relief. *whew* I'm so glad.

I'd like to go back to the being hungry comment... it's been my experience that cats fed raw tend to stay satisfied longer. If you don't mind, BrookeSphynx, how much food are you feeding each cat, and how often?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'd like to go back to the being hungry comment... it's been my experience that cats fed raw tend to stay satisfied longer. If you don't mind, how much food are you feeding each cat, and how often?
hunger is based on animal... 2 species on it ... 2 ate double what the recommended raw was , one ate 2/3 recommended and 2 ate the recommended

But How often may be a key ...

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'd like to go back to the being hungry comment... it's been my experience that cats fed raw tend to stay satisfied longer. If you don't mind, BrookeSphynx, how much food are you feeding each cat, and how often?
Here are their weights:
Walter - 9 lb, Nelson 11.5 lb, Mandy - 6lb, Helen - 6.5 lb
I split one NV patty in the AM and 1 in the PM, giving the boys more than the girls. The feeding recommendation on the bag is 1/2 patty per day per 10 pounds of weight.

It should be noted that they are sphynx, so they tend to eat slightly more than some furred cats, and they've all maintained healthy weights since switching to the raw diet. Still, many people I've talked to that feed their sphynx commercial raw foods have had to double the recommended amount in order to satisfy their cat's appetite. I'm sure a lot of that is just persistent sphynx behavior, they are always begging for something (food, attention, whatever) but when they keep going back and licking their clean plates over and over, I can tell they're still hungry!