Vomiting Got Better, Then Downhill Again

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all. My cat Romeo used to throw up almost daily, and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. We recently switched to grain free food and he seemed to improve a lot. But just this week, he's going down again. He's vomited three times in three days. The vomit is always dark yellow and nothing else. He tries to lick it back up. I'm torn. I was so happy, I thought he was all better. I have no idea what could be wrong. He's fifteen and neutured. Our other cat has no problems. He also swallows and sniffles for a few minutes sometimes. Please help me, I hate to see him vomiting and gagging. I'm devastated. It was going so well. He was fatter, he looked better and now he's bad again.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like this: Vomiting with Bile in Cats | petMD, though the vet needs to be a bit thorough to make sure there is no other underlying causes, and if there is none it could be some meds and supplements to help Romeo get that food digested right. With any throwing up make sure they are drinking okay to keep hydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like this: Vomiting with Bile in Cats | petMD, though the vet needs to be a bit thorough to make sure there is no other underlying causes, and if there is none it could be some meds and supplements to help Romeo get that food digested right. With any throwing up make sure they are drinking okay to keep hydrated.
Thank you. He is drinking, and my mum and I were thinking of taking him back to the vet soon. The vet did blood tests, for diabetes and thyroid disease and a few others, I think. Also, if it's bile doesn't it mean that he is (sorry i turned on italics i cant turn them off) digesting because it's not food, just stomach bile? Sorry, bit confused :)

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food may be going through but bile is part of the digestion process and if thats coming up without food theres an issue with digestion somewhere is what I meant. The GI system is so full of things that one small gear out of place can throw everything out of whack.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he needs a senior dry food. I know some of the senior dry foods have reduced protein or phosphorus because their kidneys can't handle really high amounts? Maybe ask your vet about this. Also, do you treat him for hairballs once or twice a week? My cats throw up bile sometimes when they have hairballs. I would ask your parents if you can give him at least 3oz of canned food per day along with his dry. It shouldn't smell too bad as long as it's not fish.

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he needs a senior dry food. I know some of the senior dry foods have reduced protein or phosphorus because their kidneys can't handle really high amounts? Maybe ask your vet about this. Also, do you treat him for hairballs once or twice a week? My cats throw up bile sometimes when they have hairballs. I would ask your parents if you can give him at least 3oz of canned food per day along with his dry. It shouldn't smell too bad as long as it's not fish.
I did see some senior Blue Wilderness food at the store. Next time I'll pick some up. I don't treat him for hairballs, he's never had a problem with them. I'll keep it in mind though My mum says we can try wet food if the senior food doesn't help him. Thanks for all the advice :)

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food may be going through but bile is part of the digestion process and if thats coming up without food theres an issue with digestion somewhere is what I meant. The GI system is so full of things that one small gear out of place can throw everything out of whack.
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it so well