Vomiting and diarrhea

MemowsMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m mom to Memow and he is 9 months old. I’ve had him since birth and had to bottle feed him because he was abandoned. He has slept with me every night and has been my best friend since till Sunday. On Sunday I rescued a 3 year old girl cat and now memow won’t come in our room, sleep with us, and only socialize if we do it downstairs. Now he’s also vomiting and has diarrhea for 12 hours. Is this common when introducing a new cat or should I take him to the ER immediately

disclaimer He has been around other cats, we also have two more boy cats beside him that he spends his days with

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
I think that his physical issues, especially the diarrhea, are signs of a health problem and he needs to see a vet. He needs fluids to help offset dehydration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MemowsMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The emergency vet isn’t 24/7 where I live but I managed to get him in at 830, I’ll keep ya updated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you are taking Memow to the vet to have him checked over. Stress - such as a new addition to your cat family - can cause ill effects in some cats, especially if they tend to be anxious or anxiety prone to begin with. But, the vomiting in such a case seems extreme. If nothing shows up to be wrong with Memow, you might consider some calming products to help if he is experiencing stress from the new cat.

How are you handling introductions? Are you using your room as the new cat's safe zone? If that is the case, you have taken away one of the things Memow apparently liked best, adding to his stress level. You may have to rethink the process you are using. How is the new cat doing? How are your other cats handling this?
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Yes, please keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MemowsMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Memows vet is sending him home with medications to help his stomach. She basically said it boils down to the stress of our new cat and told me to go out and get some calming products! I also have a follow up appointment for Monday!
I really hope this works out because our new cat really needs a loving home and I would love to keep them both. Thank you for your replies and words of wisdom.