Vomiting and abnormal vocalization?

kendradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, yes I am of course taking my cat to the vet. I believe I just need comforted until then, and your answers might help me stay sane! (Humans, so selfish. My baby is sick and I'M the one that needs comforted?)

Calypso, my 9-month-old spayed orange tabby, has been acting very strange. She has vomited several times in the past week, most of which was just bile and some grass. (She's indoor only, but I let her try wheatgrass for the first time the other day. I don't think it settled well with her belly.) I think I counted 3 or 4 different times, all on separate days. The last time she vomited, Friday the 3rd, had no grass and only bile. She has not vomited since then as far as I'm aware. (You never know when you'll find month old cat vomit underneath the bed when you're moving furniture around...)

Along with the vomiting, she's been VERY vocal. That is completely unlike her. Usually, hearing her adorable voice is a treat and only heard when the food or water bowl is empty! She sounds like she's whining, and it's she's always looking at me while she does it, almost like she's trying to tell me something is not OK with her. I thought it was the litterboxes, so I've been meticulously keeping up with them. However that's not the case. She almost seems stressed and I'm very worried.

All of that being said, she's playing, eating, drinking, pooing, and doing everything else normally! She had a very short bout of diarrhea a week or so ago, before she tried wheatgrass, but that seems to have cleared up. The vet said that as long as it cleared up, it shouldn't be a problem. The only out of the ordinary things so far is the meowing and the vomiting, that of which appears to have stopped. Although I have heard a bit of a gurgly/gassy belly today.

Any ideas? I will take her to the vet regardless of course but I don't get paid until this Thursday, the 9th. Do you think I'll be OK to wait until then? I'll take her in ASAP if needed, but I would rather wait until I have more money.

Thanks everyone!

(Couldn't resist adding some pictures...)

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is adorable <3

I'm not a vet...My humble opinion is that if she is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and even playing....I don't see why you can't wait until Thursday. 

The vomiting hasn't happened for 2 days, that you are aware of.  Does she seem to be in pain when you pick her up, hold her, rub her belly...anything?

You said she tried wheatgrass "the other day".  Was she vomiting before she tried it (that you know of...I totally understand finding old vomit under the bed and so on lol).  Maybe, like you said, her tummy didn't like it and she had a bit of a GI upset.  And maybe she also found her voice :)

Hopefully somebody here has more advice for you, but I wouldn't worry about waiting until Thursday unless things change...like pooping, peeing, eating, sleeping more, not playing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kendradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't start vomiting until after the wheatgrass, but she does meow softly and she sounds upset when I press on her belly a bit. She was found as a stray and has never really liked being handled much anyway, however. She always vocalizes when she's being held or grabbed when she doesn't want to be. It seems like an upset belly to me.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about just petting her without picking her up or touching her belly...Does she settle in to you just petting her, eventually just laying down?

I'm just trying to help you get a sense of her just being overly vocal, or her being uncomfortable...

kendradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she still reacts well to being petted and still cuddles with me every day. She cuddles and plays with my other cat as well. Is it really possible she's simply becoming more vocal? I read that behavioral changes like that don't normally happen, and there's usually an underlying stressor.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have experienced it.  Especially when she is still young.  

Just keep a close eye on her...Keep your appointment for Thursday just to be safe.  Hopefully it's nothing but some minor GI upset and her telling you all about it :)

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Calypso doing?  Thinking about you both :)

kendradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's doing much better! The vet says everything is fine, and the vomiting was probably just an upset belly. Calypso has an awful habit of going through our trash if her food bowl is empty, so she probably just ate old cat food or something...that's what I get for taking in a feral stray I suppose! I now have a much more secure trash can. She stopped vomiting and she's stopped incessantly meowing at everyone. All is well! Thanks so much!