Vomiting After Switching Food Brands - Should We Switch Back?

LeonieLunatic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So... We adopted our cats about two months ago. They were fed dry food at the rescue we got them from, but we decided to switch them to wet food pretty much instantly because one of them has Stomatitis and chewing dry food hurts her teeth.

We started out feeding them Friskies and never had any problems with it. But then we heard that Friskies apparently contains a lot of sugar, so we decided to switch to a different brand. We bought Special Kitty and the the second time we gave them Special Kitty, one of our cats threw up. It was a lot, with both chunks and liquid. That was three days ago. She has since thrown up three more times, but...

the odd thing about that is that after the first time, there was barely anything coming out of her. Once it was just a little bit of foamy white stuff, which, I thought looked like spit, and the other two times it was just a few bites of food, no liquid/bile. She's eating - I know she is, I watch them eat when I feed them.

Could she be allergic/sensitive to something in the food? Does anyone else have experience with Special Kitty? Should we switch them back to Friskies? Or maybe it's just inconvenient timing and she's fighting a hairball...?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So... We adopted our cats about two months ago. They were fed dry food at the rescue we got them from, but we decided to switch them to wet food pretty much instantly because one of them has Stomatitis and chewing dry food hurts her teeth.

We started out feeding them Friskies and never had any problems with it. But then we heard that Friskies apparently contains a lot of sugar, so we decided to switch to a different brand. We bought Special Kitty and the the second time we gave them Special Kitty, one of our cats threw up. It was a lot, with both chunks and liquid. That was three days ago. She has since thrown up three more times, but...

the odd thing about that is that after the first time, there was barely anything coming out of her. Once it was just a little bit of foamy white stuff, which, I thought looked like spit, and the other two times it was just a few bites of food, no liquid/bile. She's eating - I know she is, I watch them eat when I feed them.

Could she be allergic/sensitive to something in the food? Does anyone else have experience with Special Kitty? Should we switch them back to Friskies? Or maybe it's just inconvenient timing and she's fighting a hairball...?
Hello and welcome to TCS LeonieLunatic LeonieLunatic -- has she seen her vet? That would be the place to start. Her vet may be able to prescribe treatment for her stomatitis and make her able to eat more comfortably. Also, when introducing new foods, most experts suggest mixing the new foods in with the regular foods very gradually, increasing the new and decreasing the old over a period of a couple of weeks, so they can gradually adjust to the new diet. Her vet may suggest some different foods and/or different ways of introducing your cats to new foods. Thank you for feeding wet food, which most experts feel is superior to dry for all cats. I keep high-quality dry available for "snacking", but my cats eat high-quality wet food three times per day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeonieLunatic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS LeonieLunatic LeonieLunatic -- has she seen her vet? That would be the place to start. Her vet may be able to prescribe treatment for her stomatitis and make her able to eat more comfortably. Also, when introducing new foods, most experts suggest mixing the new foods in with the regular foods very gradually, increasing the new and decreasing the old over a period of a couple of weeks, so they can gradually adjust to the new diet. Her vet may suggest some different foods and/or different ways of introducing your cats to new foods. Thank you for feeding wet food, which most experts feel is superior to dry for all cats. I keep high-quality dry available for "snacking", but my cats eat high-quality wet food three times per day.
See that's the odd thing though. Cinnamon is the one who has Stomatitis - however our other cat, Pebbles, is the one who's been throwing up. Cinnamon is very happy with Special Kitty, she seems to like it. Pebbles however...

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is have a reaction to something in the food. I don't know that brand. You could look at a higher quality food with limited ingredients, and doing a slower transition from Friskies. With less byproducts and less ingredients disagreeable to felines, there will be less mess to clean up. Cats often don't do well with dairy, beef, dyes, wheat, and sometimes seafood, etc.

I do think Friskies can exacerbate any health issues your cat might have. As my cats got older, their foods got a more expensive as I found a direct correlation of their food vs health. But also my young cat with IBS did not fare well on Friskies or Fancy Feast.