Vomit Color - Cause for Concern?

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question about vomit color. My 16yo cat has hyperthyroidism, chronic constipation and probable kidney disease. She used to vomit almost daily, often after straining in the litter box or when she had gone too long between meals. It was always consisted of her wet food or clear foamy liquid, except for the very occasional hairball. Since she has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and has been treated with methimazole for the past 7 weeks, her vomiting has diminished a lot and she has only vomited a few times. However, yesterday I came home to 2 areas of vomit - 1 in the kitchen that was mostly clear with a little bit of fur in it and 1 larger area in the entryway. The one in the entryway was just liquid but had a light brown tint. I'm not sure when she had eaten last as we put wet food down before we leave (2 cans of Applaws tuna and crab that she and our other cat eat during the day) and we are gone from the house from 7:30am-5:30pm. I have no idea when she ate vs when she vomited. I looked up info about brown tinted vomit and of course all that comes up are serious things. Do you think I should call the vet about it? Should I wait to see if she does it again? Could it have been colored from her food even though it had no food bits in it? She is acting fine and has been eating and drinking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would wait to see if it happens again. Feeby has vomited up colored stuff (not bile) and no food with it, but I think it was the coloring or close to the color of the food. If any of the foods your girl is eating is even remotely similar in color I would think it is likely stomach acids mixed with whatever food was left in her stomach. The larger amount might have actually been what she threw up first, trying to cough up hair and then the smaller amount later which at least produced a bit of hair.