Vocal and uncharacteristic meowing?

silcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.
 I'm new to this site and certainly know someone will be able to help us with our question. (And apologies in advance for the long thread!) 

We (my husband and I) have two cats - the one in question is a 3-year old Nebelung mix named Pierre. We adopted him from a close friend of mine nearly two years ago due to the fact that he couldn't keep him any longer. 

Pierre entered our lives as if he always lived in the house.  Neither of us have ever encountered such a confident and self-assured cat.  He settled in very well from the get go. Never showed any hesitation living here; no litterbox issues, no bad behaviors other than the first few weeks he seemed a bit needy for company (he had been living alone in my friends house more or less while he had neighbors checking in on him since he had moved to another state and was only able to come home on weekends).   He did have some issues about eating his food too fast and then vomiting, but that was eventually solved.

He was not a vocal cat at all- as I mentioned before, he became pretty independent.  He communicates very well via body language (i.e. tail, ear signals) and we are able to figure out what his needs are from that.  When he does use his "voice" it is a very low tone, nearly inperceivable in fact.  It was rare for him to ever "say anything" to us.

So here is the issue.  Lately he's been yowling like crazy, a plaintive cry like he's upset, lonely or wants us in the room together, or something.  He'll stand at the bottom of the stairs meowing incessantly up the stairs for DH, while he's up there.  I mean, he certainly can hear him up there.  My husband will call him, tell him to come up, and he'll just yowl sadly.  It's like he's waiting for a personal invitation from him - waiting for him to walk down the stairs and pick him up and bring him up there, instead of him walking up himself. 

Or he'll wait there while we're both in the living room watching TV, doing the same thing.  If we go upstairs he'll run after us, come into the bedroom and settle in with us for a while (or all night, depends)- it's nice to have him cuddle, but it's also strange. I mean, it's like he's telling us sometimes "hey guys, time to go to bed!" 

There isn't anything wrong with him health-wise. He's been checked out.  He did have a UTI a couple months ago, but that has long been resolved. He runs around the house playing perfectly well with his toys.  He's been checked for every bit of infection there is - all is well.  It seems to be a behavioral issue for sure.

We think it may be related to the fact that my husband had been out of work the entire time Pierre has been with us and just recently found a job in the past month.  He's out of the house now 8-9 hours a day, like me.  It's likely Pierre is missing him very much, they get along famously - best buds kind of thing.  He will keep him company in his office, on a pillow by his desk overlooking the window or on the little couch in the room.  He's by his side a lot, even more than mine (Avril and I are more "sisters"). He's also been ignoring Avril's pleas for help (i.e. when she bats at his tail, it's usually "come play with me" and they normally play for hours. Recently, whenever she bats at his tail, he just keeps walking.). So now Avril's becoming very vocal as well.

Normally Nebelungs are known to be very quiet, unlike Siamese and other breeds of the like. 

Anyway, if there are any other ideas someone may have I'd love to hear it - or ideas on how to make him more secure right now.  We're home with him a lot on the weekends, and interact with him as much as possible (and, leave him be when he needs that too).  The meowing is concerning to us since it's so out of character for how we've gotten to know him and he never does it directly to our faces - only out of earshot.  

Thanks!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, I think you're probably right that the change in routine is upsetting him. I would normally think that it's something physical, but since you've ruled that out with a vet check....

How about trying a Feliway pheromone diffuser for a while to see if it will calm him down a little? You may need a couple of them.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Like @vball my first thought was something physical, perhaps some residual issue from the UTI, or joint pain causing difficulty on the stair but then you say physically he has been checked and while he cries and calls at the stair he also races up and down at other times so joint issues sound less likely...  

If he is without his human brother significantly more than usual it could be behavioural, and is perhaps a little depressed at this loss of attention which could affect the interaction with April as you are describing.  @vball's suggestion of Feliway would also be what I would reach for, along with serious effort to put in play and cuddle time for as long as possible when either of you are around - but especially your husband if your close feline relationships are split in this way.

Mouse is a normally quiet (vocally anyway) Russian Blue but when he feels a need for attention, be it play or affection, or some practical issue I have not attended to as promptly as he would like he can become very voca  If he wants physical play and snuggling his meows are especially plaintive and sad and there would be no doubt to even the hardest hearted human that he is a cat that needs love.  Your description of Pierre sounds just like Mouse. I used plug in Feliway diffuser with Mouse for about a year when I first adopted him, and since then whenever he has seemed distressed or had to cope with being alone a little more as he is a sociable cat that likes to know when his human companions are going to be around him.

I hope that Pierre settles soon and that he starts to respond to Avril's play invitations again in the near future.  I know how sad and stressed I feel when I hear Mouse vocalize in this way.