Vitamin E - softgels instead of dry

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I accidently bought the vitamin E in softgel instead of dry. I was wondering if:
1) I can still use it to prepare the food while I wait for the arrival of the correct version
2) I can substitute the vitamin E with a food or up the quantity of any of the ingredients to make up for the missing supplement.

I am using Dr Becker's recipes.

Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just googled Dr. Becker to try to see what her recipes say, and I can't find what the supplements she uses are. All it seems to say is "daily supplements as recommended". Can you tell us exactly what the supplements are that you are using, and which recipe. That might help.

But I will tell you that I did used to give one of our cats the "oily" form of Vitamin E based on our Vet's recommendation. Just a drop or two on her food for her liver issues. She was already eating raw diet at that time, but I used a premix for all the supplements rather than adding each individual vitamin/mineral, etc. Additionally, most of the recipes I have seen do not specify DRY vitamin E. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of that until I saw your post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just googled Dr. Becker to try to see what her recipes say, and I can't find what the supplements she uses are. All it seems to say is "daily supplements as recommended". Can you tell us exactly what the supplements are that you are using, and which recipe. That might help.

But I will tell you that I did used to give one of our cats the "oily" form of Vitamin E based on our Vet's recommendation. Just a drop or two on her food for her liver issues. She was already eating raw diet at that time, but I used a premix for all the supplements rather than adding each individual vitamin/mineral, etc. Additionally, most of the recipes I have seen do not specify DRY vitamin E. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of that until I saw your post
I am using the recipes that use bones. I do not have the recipes on me right now but here is the list of supplements mentioned in the book:
Iron
Chelated manganese
Kelp
Folic acid
Vitamin e 400ui
Taurine

edit
Just realized i have the book with me. Her is the recipe
IMG_3394.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So does it specify DRY vitamin E somewhere? I think you are fine using the oily form, but if you add the supplements at mealtime as the book states, how to you figure out how much to give for one little meal? That seems quite odd to me. Or do you mix all of them together in a jar and then measure out 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture of something? (in which the oily form would definitely NOT work!)

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So does it specify DRY vitamin E somewhere? I think you are fine using the oily form, but if you add the supplements at mealtime as the book states, how to you figure out how much to give for one little meal? That seems quite odd to me. Or do you mix all of them together in a jar and then measure out 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture of something? (in which the oily form would definitely NOT work!)
The book says to process all the supplements in the blender then add the amount needed before serving each meal.
I think i can’t do without the correct vitamin E :/

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen another recipe that called for fish oil capsules and said you can simply toss the capsules into the blender/food processor/grinder, as is. Her rationale was that fish oil remains fresher longer in the capsules than as loose oil and that the gelatin in the capsules might actually be somewhat beneficial--like a collagen supplement. I just had a look at a vitamin E softgel and the inactive ingredients in the capsule are gelatin and glycerin. Neither will be harmful and the gelatin might actually be somewhat beneficial if you simply tossed the equivalent amount of capsuled E into the blender until your powder version arrives.

EDIT: Oh I see. They expect you to supplement at meal-time rather than at grind time. Yeah, you probably can't easily measure the oil dose. I think if you know how many servings that batch produces, maybe you could batch the E into it. Vitamin E should be reasonably shelf stable to premix rather than supplement as you go.

Last edited:

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen another recipe that called for fish oil capsules and said you can simply toss the capsules into the blender/food processor/grinder, as is. Her rationale was that fish oil remains fresher longer in the capsules than as loose oil and that the gelatin in the capsules might actually be somewhat beneficial--like a collagen supplement. I just had a look at a vitamin E softgel and the inactive ingredients in the capsule are gelatin and glycerin. Neither will be harmful and the gelatin might actually be somewhat beneficial if you simply tossed the equivalent amount of capsuled E into the blender until your powder version arrives.

EDIT: Oh I see. They expect you to supplement at meal-time rather than at grind time. Yeah, you probably can't easily measure the oil dose. I think if you know how many servings that batch produces, maybe you could batch the E into it. Vitamin E should be reasonably shelf stable to premix rather than supplement as you go.
I was at an organic store earlier trying to find the dry version. The sales person said I can just pierce it and add it to the mix. I am going through the book again to confirm whether vitamin E should be given daily, if that’s a yes, I will just add it to the meat. The rest of the supplements will be added before serving. I will update my answer once I go through the book again.

Thank you all for your input! It‘s my first time making the supplement mix myself and I’m stoked! :D :D :D

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I went through the book again and I don't think I can use the softgels :(
It sucks because iherb doesn't do return or refund.. so I guess I am stuck with the product.
Also, it seems like it's freaking hard to find some supplements in Canada. Does anyone have a better resource than iherb? I am looking for chelated copper and it's either not available or available with a higher mg.