Vitamin A toxicity- I fed my cat too much liver. Will he be ok?

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Accidently poured too much freeze dried liver on my cats normal food today. I add liver to the meals a few times a week to add flavors and different things for them.

I just want to know how much in one sitting is too much and if i should be worried. His normal food today was Stella and Chewy chicken morsals which does contain liver in the ingredients. I probably gave him about 8-12 tablespoons of fluffy freeze dried liver dust and he weighs 13-14lbs. US dry measurements. I have to guess here since i usually give them a few tablespoons but dumped more out accidentally.

I have read& heard some information that have too much liver can cause toxicity over time. I am wondering if it can happen in one sitting as well. Thanks all. All the educated people on this site really contain a treasure trove of knowledge and experiences that always help me out.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vitamin A Poisoning in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals
Here are things to watch out for, and you could call your vet in the morning and see what they have to say. How is he acting since he ate it?
My dog once ate a large amount of raw liver and kidney (and half the bag :sigh: ) and he was fine, from what I understand it's very dangerous if given in heavy doses over time, or if they get into a bottle of Vitamin A supplements and eat the whole thing, etc.
I have known only one pet who passed from Vitamin A toxicity from eating whole raw liver, and it was because the owner unfortunately didn't know and fed them raw beef and chicken livers in large amounts over the course of many weeks (they own a farm and had a surplus). They had no idea, and felt horrible about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is he acting since he ate it?
he has been acting normal! I will watch him tomorrow and see if he starts acting weird. I am possibly worried over nothing. Thanks for responding!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he has been acting normal! I will watch him tomorrow and see if he starts acting weird. I am possibly worried over nothing. Thanks for responding!
You are very welcome! How is he doing?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably take 10 to 100 times the recommended amount of vitamin-A to make a cat sick, depending on the size of the cat. Smaller cats will be more susceptible than larger ones. Cats in better health will be less susceptible.

Further, a one-time event where a cat gets a somewhat larger dose is less likely to cause problems than when a cat gets smaller overdoses over time.

If you usually give your cat a couple-three spoons full of supplement in his food but you accidentally give double or even triple, I don't think that you'll have problems.

Maybe, I'd skip a dose or two. If your cat just wants the flavor, you could cut back your dose to half or a quarter. Just put a sprinkle on top, even.

If you have any doubts or if your cat starts showing signs of sickness, call your vet. My intuition tells me that your cat will be okay.

Just lay off the liver supplement for a while. ;)