Vision impaired kittens

Kitteh Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Our foster litter of mama and her two babies are still with us (they didn't get adopted last week at the shelter's adoption faire, so we begin the weekly trek back/forth until they are adopted.)

The two babies had severe eye infections when they were little - we thought one was going to be completely blind - however they have cleared the infection and have sight. However, I'm not sure HOW much sight they have. (The shelter's vet is super busy so I don't want to pester her with this question as the kittens are otherwise healthy and happy.) At any rate, as I'm continuing to get them socialized and caring for them until they go to their forever homes, are there any toys/games/etc which may help them strengthen their vision? They can track flies, silent toys/objects, etc., so they can DEFINITELY see. (Yay!)

Also, they're a bit skittish to loud, sudden noises or movements (I think that is due to their impaired vision). This may make it a little harder for them to find adoptive families. If you have any suggestions of things I can continue to do to help them feel more confident and less skittish, I would appreciate it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are beautiful! They sound like they see well enough and are healthy. Thank you for fostering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitteh Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ❤

They are happily trying to attack my clean laundry pile at the moment. LOL!

I just wish I could help them be less skittish. Of course, there's only so much a person can do as to some extent it is a personality thing, but I want to give them the best chance of getting adopted into a wonderful home.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most kittens are pretty skittish - they are defenseless babies and so natural instinct makes them flighty. Lots of cuddles and nursing, allow yourself to giggle and laugh out loud while playing with a really fun toy such as a cat fly can help desensitize. I think you'll find many cats aren't fond of loud noise, though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I got to thinking that play and toys for blind cats might be useful for your purposes of helping your sweeties, in part because if their sight is impaired to whatever degree, they need their other senses to be strengthened.

This site may have something for you;
Blind Cat Rescue