videos FOR cats, not ABOUT cats

doug36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat seems to pay some attention to my wide-screen TV (which, in my experience, is unusual for cats), and is VERY interested in other cats that he sees looking out the window. So I'd like to find some online (YouTube?) video that might be entertaining for such a cat. Now, cat videos are mostly stupid cat tricks, or cat's being "cute". Those videos are for people, not cats.

I'd like a video that shows, close up, just a cat being quietly active. Faces. Eyes. Moving. Walking, stretching, pawing, maybe jumping. Not running off into the distance. Not a piece of a cat. The whole animal. I don't want the camera to move a lot. Hand-held or jerky videos aren't appropriate. I'd like it to run for at least several minutes.

I've found a few, but they have the faults that I said above I wanted to avoid.

Anyone know of any good ones?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doug36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are interesting, but he's waving the camera around like it's on a string. That's not how cats see the world, waving around in front of them. Is there something, um, "artistic" about a hand-held (and somewhat sloppily pointed) video camera?

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat seems to pay some attention to my wide-screen TV (which, in my experience, is unusual for cats), and is VERY interested in other cats that he sees looking out the window. So I'd like to find some online (YouTube?) video that might be entertaining for such a cat. Now, cat videos are mostly stupid cat tricks, or cat's being "cute". Those videos are for people, not cats.

I'd like a video that shows, close up, just a cat being quietly active. Faces. Eyes. Moving. Walking, stretching, pawing, maybe jumping. Not running off into the distance. Not a piece of a cat. The whole animal. I don't want the camera to move a lot. Hand-held or jerky videos aren't appropriate. I'd like it to run for at least several minutes.

I've found a few, but they have the faults that I said above I wanted to avoid.

Anyone know of any good ones?
Someone on this site once recommended Relax My Cat (YouTube) and Music TV for Cats (I think that's what it's called.) I have the second one saved on my Roku, and one of my kitties has become obsessed with it. In fact, he's watching it now. I just use the two free videos, so I don't pay for a subscription or anything. One option has moving video with birds, soft music and purring. There are several videos strung together, but altogether, it's the shorter option of the two. I'm betting it goes for 45 minutes or an hour. The other just has still pics and soft music. I don't know how long that one runs, but I've started it and left the house for a few hours, and it's still going when I get home.

doug36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The "Relax My Cat. A YouTube video I found was . That's mostly close ups of birds, which is interesting. (There is a lot of RelaxMy Cat music out there, which is pretty much nonsense!) This video serves my need, sort of.

Actually, I'm not trying to "relax my cat". I'm trying to interest and excite my cat. My cat is plenty relaxed. This video helps, but would nice to see something maybe with mice or squirrels, or other cats.

doug36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are some good ones there. Lots of birds, but rodents as well. But my cat gets excited just seeing other cats, and there aren't a lot of those in these that I can find. .

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Pantera was a kitten I would put wildlife videos on youtube about the big cats: jaguars, tigers, lions, and leopards. Mostly the ones showing them hunting. Pantera would watch transfixed like a child watching the Cartoon Network. Sometines when the video showed the jaguar/tiger/lion making the kill she would jump up and touch the screen (trying to participate in the kill?). She especially seemed to enjoy watching videos showing jaguars, which could explain why she is fascinated with water.

Even today, Pantera acts out what she saw in the videos. Most of the time when she wants to play with Pimenta, she'll jump on or right in front of her from high up, usually from a height of 5-6 feet (Poor, poor Pimenta! 🤕 ), to say nothing of her general playing style, best described as "kill or be killed." She certainly took what she learned in those videos to heart: we've seen her snatch moths flying 5 feet high right out of the air, ripped open a shipping box as well as a shoelace in half, and destroyed multiple toys :shocked::bat::blackcat2: