[video Linked] Two Kittens... 2.5 Month Age Difference... Are They Playing Or Should We Be Worried?

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have an adorable blue British Shorthair called Percy. He’s almost 5 months old. We adore him. We were worried Percy was lonely so we decided to get him a friend. We got Percy from a lovely British Shorthair breeder and she was due to have some new kittens available. We spent Christmas away from home and so the breeder offered to board Percy for us with the added bonus that she would also introduce Percy to the new kitten over the course of the 10 days or so we were away. The new kitten is also a British Shorthair (this one is chocolate colourpoint) called Barnaby and is now around 10 weeks old. By the time we picked them up they were both living in the same room for some of the day and playing but the breeder did not have much experience of mixing an older and a younger kitten and was worried Percy was being too rough.

We have not had two cats before so we don’t really know the difference between cat playing and cat aggression. From some threads I’ve read here, it seems many people mistake fighting for play and that cats can be a bit rough. Based on the attached video, should we be worried? Should we split them up?

Barnaby is small, but he does go up to Percy (which isn’t in this video) and wants to play. Barnaby does squeal at him but then Percy stops, they separate, and then Percy will stalk him again. Just as I am typing this on my iPhone, Barnaby went up to Percy who was eating and Barnaby ate from the Percy’s bowl with no hissing or anything.

Would be grateful for your advice!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also managed to catch them eating/drinking right next to each other...

Starting to think maybe they’re fine and once Barny is older he’ll be able to fight Percy off properly...

Sst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Percy is just playing, but Barny is too small for that kind of play. I don't think it is territorial.
I agree with you, in a few months when Barny grows older he'll be able to play it off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. They’re now asleep together on our sofa snuggled up. What is your advice for how to proceed?

• Purraise
Reactions: Sst

Sst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. They’re now asleep together on our sofa snuggled up. What is your advice for how to proceed?
I also have 2 cats (for now unfortunately)
My older one is 10y older than the younger one.
When they spent time together it consisted of older leaving food for younger (after he had eaten), and younger following up on his daily walks (without playing or sleeping together)
Older protects younger from feral cats and protects the territory from anyone but younger one.
This was obviously a show of dominance as they are both male, and there is a big gap in years among them.
Younger is now 1.5 yo but he shows respect to the older one.
We just found out that older has bone sarcoma so that could be the reason why he in the first place took younger one under his protection

That being said, I see no such behaviour I'm your cats, no obvious territory marking. It really looks like child play.
Only your older one is a bit stronger than younger one.
Cats grow quickly and it will ne only a matter of time till the young one is almost the same size.
Can you maybe occupy older ones time with more toys (loud balls, feather toys)? If he uses his energy that way he won't molest his brother.
Also when my cats sharpened their claws on my skinI would pinch them the same instant (not hard of), or tap their nose, so they know they are doing stg that isn't right
. If you see that toys don't work, and that he is hurting the little one, try patting his nose until he frowns, so he knows he is not supposed to do that.
But I bet you won't have that problem for much longer.
Enjoy your cats :)

PS my older one is Nebelung, pic in the attachment, similar breed to Russian grey

Attachments

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get the big boy fixed and feed the little guy more !