Vicious Nightly Attacks By My Otherwise Very Sweet Cat

anothergrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!  

'm desperate for answers and am hoping someone here can help me.  My vet has no answers and I am at a total loss.  I have a 5 year old neutered male cat who is normally the sweetest cat imaginable.  He was bottle fed and is very snuggly and affectionate, loves to sit on my lap while I work, sleeps with me nightly, etc.  I am a photographer and work late hours in the summer since it's easier to judge color once the sun in down, and in the past several weeks, he has started attacking me viciously, around the same time every night, starting at midnight or 1am.  

It usually happens while I am editing on my laptop, so sitting totally still and not moving.  First I will notice him staring at or stalking me, and he gets closer and closer, and then finally, when I am looking away, he will launch himself at me, sinking teeth and claws into my arm/leg hard enough not only to draw blood, but also to leave bruises from the force.  A few hours later, and he acts perfectly fine, and is his normal, loving self all day long.  But, like clockwork around 12 or 1am, I can see him get restless and start giving me the "I'm going to murder you, mom" stare.  

I know that responding with aggression can make it worse, so I have tried ignoring it (and then get attacked), moving him to another room (he comes back angrier), talking to him gently and doing the slow blink (continued stalking), and getting on the ground and trying to pet him (I get a few snuggles, and he acts like he likes the attention, but then recoils like a little cobra and lashes out at my hand).  The first time or two it happened I did panic and yell and chase him off, and he ran away but then came stalking back angrier.  I thought maybe I was in "his" chair, so I have tried relocating my editing to different places in the house with no change.  He has even attacked me once in my sleep, clawing my face, and I'm scared he'll do it again.

A few facts that may or may not be relevant:  We have lived in the same apartment for almost two years and there have been no major changes or moves.  The vet cannot find anything wrong with him and suggested that he may be reacting to cats outside.  However, it's a second floor apartment, he is indoors only, and I live in an area with cold nights so the windows are closed after sundown.  It is only me and him in the apartment - no other humans or animals.  I had a similar issue last spring and the vet suggested Feliway.  It seemed to be helping and the problem went away for awhile, but it came back recently stronger, and the Feliway seems to make no difference despite fresh refills.  He's in good health and eating well, and other than these insane Jekyll/Hyde midnight attacks, he's his normal loving self.

Please help!  I love him like my child and would never give him up, but he is really starting to frighten me.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi anothergrace,

Gosh, this sounds terribly frightening from your own kitty! I hope you haven't got any serious bite wounds or scratches! Cat bites can often lead to infections, since puncture wounds can go deep into our tissue while the surface skin closes up for healing. I've heard folks lose some nerve tissue after waiting too long to be checked out. It's serious business!

My thoughts on the nightly attacks, however, I'm thinking your cat is bored, listless and is trying to expend his energy out on his prey, namely you, unfortunately! 
   So, with that being said, I must ask, do you ever play with him with an interactive toy? A wand toy would be ideal. Many feline lovers love "da bird" as play therapy because kitties love them, too!  It's a great way for him to release his excess energy at a more exciting prey that flies and flutters as you swing the wand up in the air. I'd say do a lengthy hard-core interactive play session with him every night, for at least 20 minutes.(Get your timer out or use your cell phone, lol
 ) Make him get a real work-out: get him running up and down staircases, on your sofas, beds, his cat condo, or where ever you can get him to run, chase, jump, climb, and attack until he is completely, utterly, tired out that he is panting hard and must lie to his side! Then take his favorite canned food and serve his last big meal for the evening. If satisfied, your old kitty should groom his way to dreamland and leave you alone for the night hopefully!

Hope this is what cures your kitty's nightly attacks from you! I'd be interested in the effectiveness of this and any progress or setbacks you have. Good luck playing! 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you working in a dim light by your computer. I know cats gets excited when room is dark and only you are illuminated by your computer, making a perfect target in the dark.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are predators and if they have nothing to hunt will turn on the people nearest them. I would start playing with him for 15-20 minutes every night. Even 10 minutes will help.

Indoor cats get extremely bored. We have tv and the internet, and we go places during the day. The cats are stuck at home and get really bored. There is nothing to chase and if by themselves they sleep or get depressed... Or decide to attack you for whatever reason.

My house gets mice every once in a while. It brings my cats back to life! They get so excited, even my 10 yr old cat runs like a kitten.

The cat guy on my cat from hell suggested getting a terrarium and putting something in there that moves... Something your cat can watch like a lizard. Just make sure to "cat proof" it first!

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that he might be bored and needs some interactive play time.  Playing with a cat before bedtime usually will keep them sleeping most of the night also give a little treat because after they eat most cats groom themselves and go to sleep.  When you are away from home put a radio on or leave a TV on so there is some noise or something for him to watch - I think you can find some programs on the internet that have birds chirping and fish swimming around which might help.  He may be bored, does he like to play fetch or leave an empty cardboard box out for him to play in.  Even though you are on the second floor with windows closed if there are cats outside your cat will know it.  Is he able to sit on a window ledge to watch outside?  Indoor cats needs as much active time as you can give them.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What tests has the cat had at the vet? Blood work? X-rays? In extreme cases, there can be an issue in the brain. In a recent episode of "My Cat From Hell," they diagnosed a cat's sudden violent attacks as a form of a seizure. Is he on any medications?

@anothergrace, can you clarify once again whether you think your cat is actually attacking or playing roughly? If he's playing roughly, then boredom could definitely be the issue. If he's attacking angrily, I'm more concerned about a deeper behavioral or medical issue, especially since this is new and totally unlike him. Disclaimer: I am not an animal behaviorist.

In the case of boredom, how about releasing one or two active crickets in the house around midnight and see if that redirects his intensity? You can usually buy crickets at pet stores (pick the jumpy ones!). I know it's gross and you may end up with bug parts everywhere, but it might be worth a try.