Vibes please

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm at my wits end with Sydney, I'm so frustrated!

We've had her now for almost 4 years and she has peed outside the box since we got her. For a while it was only once a week or so and slowly over the years it has progressed to now twice a day. She's ruining our house!

I've had her to the vet sooo many times for this, and each time she is negative for a UTI. She's been on a urinary diet for 6 months now and no difference. We have 3 cats and 4 litterboxes (I cannot put anymore in the house) I clean them twice a day. We are doing basement renos (had to tear up our carpet because of urine damage) and now she's peeing all over the new floor. She fights non stop with the other cats.

I'm taking her in to a new vet (again) but does anyone have any advice?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she fights with the other kitties it certainly sounds behaviorial to me. Do you have Feliway in your home? That will probably help. Also, has the vet tried any kind of drugs to help her "chill out"? Might be something to try. Good luck hun, and I hope it all works out.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway certainly wouldn't hurt if you don't already use it. Also any spots where you are not removing carpet, check for urine still being there as they will return to it

What kind of litterboxes do you have? Two of mine are really fussy, Quincy likes to play in new litter (jumps in when you are pouring it in and acts like he is burying but doesnt actually go) - if he does this in Autumn's fave box she wont use it and Magnum will not use a box if there is a clump in it - even if its his own.

Autumn doesn't like the clear storage boxes and only uses regular litterboxes and doesnt like the sides to be so high that she cant watch everywhere, she is a paranoid litterbox user! Not one of mine will use a covered litterbox

When Autumn wasn't using the box when we first got her (we just assumed it was because she was feral and not confined with her box as she was at the shelter) the vet talked about using a kitty prozac if changing the boxes didn't work - she thought it would help with her aggression issues also, but it seemed to work out by itself with new boxes and separating 'her' box from any noise and her aggression issues disappeared at home. She will not use the litterbox if anyone (cat or person) is in the room - she doesnt go outside the box but will walk away from the box and keep going back to check so her box is now in our bedroom during the day and bathroom at night.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, Tracy! I can hear your frustration all the way out here, and I don't blame you. I have never had litterbox issues, so I don't have any advice, but I've got lots of for you all.
that you can find a solution soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been using Feliway for months now (seemed to help in the beginning) We are also using cat attract litter.

I really do think it is behavioural. I have an appointment and we'll see how it goes, maybe they could suggest something to help calm her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do think it's behavioral, and it's tied into the other cats, is there a way to separate her from the others?

My Ophelia Rose, is, erm, "touchy" about other cats. I have to rotate around, confining some of the other cats to a room, then confining her to the room & letting the other cats out.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

has blood work been done?
No, I'm going to request it be done this time. The urinalysis has never been helpful.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to ask about an anti-depressant after all health issues have been ruled out. I think it has helped others in this situation. for you and Sydney!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

You might want to ask about an anti-depressant after all health issues have been ruled out. I think it has helped others in this situation. for you and Sydney!
I was talking to my mom and dad today and they suggested that we take Sydney to their house for a week or 2 (they don't have any cats of their own now that Simmie has past on) that way we'd know for sure if it is behavioural. Might be an option...I just worry that the mood altering meds will make her dopey...does anyone have any personal expeirence with kitty anti depressants?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I was talking to my mom and dad today and they suggested that we take Sydney to their house for a week or 2 (they don't have any cats of their own now that Simmie has past on) that way we'd know for sure if it is behavioural. Might be an option...I just worry that the mood altering meds will make her dopey...does anyone have any personal expeirence with kitty anti depressants?
If you think she'll take the adjustment from one household to another OK, might be worth a try to see how she does at your parents. If she does OK there, are they considering keeping her?

As for mood-altering drugs - my Ophelia Rose is a poster child for those types of drugs.
Best description is that she is bi-polar. To top it off, she started urinating inappropriately. I tried Amitriptyline, and it didn't work. So my vet suggested Buspar. It is non-habit forming, meaning I can just stop it "cold turkey". One of the worst side effects of Buspar is that they become too friendly. Annoyingly friendly. She doesn't act dopey, drugged up, or anything like that. In fact, in her case, I think it has given her somewhat of a quality of life. She's far more at ease on it, comfortable enough to really play around, etc. She's sitting, falling asleep, next to me by the desk right now. When not on Buspar, she constantly acts fearful of everyone/everything, me included.

If you have any specific questions, you can always PM me.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for your insight Nat. I'm sure that once I know what type of drug they are considering (if they do) I'll have some questions for you.

I think deep down my mom and dad would be happy to keep Sydney at their house. They have really been missing having a cat around...but we love our boo boo kitty. I don't want to see her go. On the other hand, Reilly beats on her morning noon and night and I don't want her to be unhappy. Some things to discuss with my vet for sure.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a frustrating situation for you.

In my experience all cat behavior is related. The inter-cat aggression is probably related to the house soiling. It sounds like a complex situatuion since there is more than one behavior problem and several cats.

If your folks don't keep her or if they have litter box problems I recommend that you get with a cat behavior counselor to thoroughly work the problem. When I do a cat behavior case I often am talking with the owners for 60-90 - have to gets lots and lots of details before making recommendations.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Reilly beats on her morning noon and night and I don't want her to be unhappy. Some things to discuss with my vet for sure.
I'm willing to bet this is part of the problem.

Might be a good idea to trial her at your parents

melissaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend had a cat who started doing this as well. Whenever she was mad about something, she would go an pee on something. It was always things like the other cat's bed, or a chair, or my friend's bed...somewhere that she made sure she was showing you that she was not happy!

They put her on anti-anxiety meds which made a huge improvement, not sure which med it was in particular though