Vibes needed for Momma Kitty...Headed to the vet at 8am tomorrow

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momma Kitty is one of my two indoor/outdoor cats.  She has run of the land during the day and comes into the garage at night. They have a litter box and food galore and a cat flap so they can come and go as they please.  She catches things in the wild - like the red bird whose head and feathers we found in the garage 2 nights ago (UGH!) and the field mice that don't quite make it into our house anymore (YAY!).

A few days ago, I noticed that her fur was unkempt and looked strange down near her girlie parts.  Her anus looks normal, but I do know that she had diarrhea a few times.  I gave her a dose of Revolution yesterday (which deals with worms as well as fleas,etc).  She and Percy both get that monthly due to being outside.  She is also spayed. 

Today, I went to check on her and she was laying in the garage.  When I got near her, I could really smell urine.  Strong, strong urine.  It was on her fur down near the opening to her vagina.  Her vagina is not red, but looks swollen and stayed "open" a bit as I was cleaning her up.  She is NOT going outside the box that I can tell...at least now when she is in the garage.  She is only peeing on her fur and not cleaning herself as well as she used to.  She is an EXTREMELY long haired cat.  I mean, REALLY long haired and thick right now.

I called the vet and she said to bring her in in the morning.  I have no idea what it could be.  The vet seemed stumped too.  Momma isn't acting herself to me - she is still eating, hunting, etc. but something is just off.  My cat meowmy instinct is telling me something is not right. 

I will update tomorrow.  If anyone has any advice or experience, I'd love for you to share!  thanks!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Rebecca :)...... Poor Momma cat :vibes::vibes:. Not sure what that could be - it sounds like a bit of urinary incontinence. She could have an UTI :(. Please keep us posted on your vet visit. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is she?  Could it simply be a matter that she is getting arthritis and can't clean herself "down there" anymore, and so since her fur is so long she is simply collecting urine as always, but you are now noticing because she can't reach back there to wash?  Just a thought.

that it's nothing serious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is actually just over a year old. 

I took her to the vet this morning.  Everything looked good.  My vet shaved her private area a bit to help her out in the cleaning up part and gave her an antibiotic shot just incase it is the start of a UTI.  She did have an accident on the way to the vet, but it was not enough for her to "test" and she said the bladder was not full enough to pull a sample that way...I thought "better safe than sorry" and allowed the shot.

Momma is doing well tonight.  Hopefully it was just a grooming issue...and if it wasn't, hopefully the shot will clear up any infection.  Fingers crossed!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: I know long haired cats need more attention... but "grooming issues" in and of themselves are often signs of an underlying problem. Hope the antibiotics were all that's needed!