Vet visit

greengirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long does your cat hate the site of you after a vet visit?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can take up to a couple of days. They usually hiss and hide. don't force the issue they can have redirected aggression and bite and claw. I had my cats growl, hiss, and avoid each other when they return from vet visits and the other didn't go. I try to take them together. It can last up to a week, some cats can get VERY stressed. Some treats for stress i got on Amazon really did help, you could try that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding that many cats who are only going to the vet for a simple routine check up, maybe for vaccinations, are fine within a few hours . A vet visit that involves diagnostic procedures, scary machines, sedation, etc to figure out the cause of the cat's illness and on top of that medicine has to be given may result in cats being super stressed and upset for as many as a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greengirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine don't. They carry on like nothing ever happened. Other cats though may be stressed and upset for the rest of the day.
You are very lucky! Mine is currently facing away from me and hissing if I come too near! She’s a very high strung tortie!

greengirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They can take up to a couple of days. They usually hiss and hide. don't force the issue they can have redirected aggression and bite and claw. I had my cats growl, hiss, and avoid each other when they return from vet visits and the other didn't go. I try to take them together. It can last up to a week, some cats can get VERY stressed. Some treats for stress i got on Amazon really did help, you could try that.
This sounds more like my baby! She’s very mad at mom right now!

greengirl50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adding that many cats who are only going to the vet for a simple routine check up, maybe for vaccinations, are fine within a few hours . A vet visit that involves diagnostic procedures, scary machines, sedation, etc to figure out the cause of the cat's illness and on top of that medicine has to be given may result in cats being super stressed and upset for as many as a few days.
She had blood tests and shots so that’s probably the reason. She’s very difficult to get to the vet. She has had many medical problems and is currently under treatment for ibd and hyperperethesia (don’t know if I spelled it right!). I was delighted that she’s gained a pound! It’s the first time I’ve been able to get her to the vet in quite a while with a liberal dose of gabapentin from the vet!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my earlier post, I was speaking about a routine checkup and a couple of shots, maybe. Aside from a couple of spayings, that's all they've been to the vet for. Spayings are another story. Those took four or five days for the others to get over. I never had to do anything to ease the reintroduction. The one that had the operation stayed to themself most of the time, presumably because they felt a little punky. The hissing was the only non-recognition behavior I observed.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that's fine after vet visits and one that sulks for a couple of hours. The one that sulks just needs to be alone after for a while even if it's only a check up.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neither of my two boys do. They only hate being confined in the Cat Carrier. Once their back home and out of the carrier their right in good spirits .
Yeah, the cat carrier and car ride are the worst for my boy. He actually likes the vet. Of course, they are fear free and have no issue stuffing him full of treats so I'm sure that helps :lol: