Vet Visit

sarcasticallyxyours

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! So I posted when we adopted my baby Maka that we'd be taking her to the vet to address the scarring on her eyes and missing hair on her tail. The vet was very friendly, but not very good at explaining things. I'm not a dumb person but she was using a lot of medical terms and didn't really explain what each test she wanted to was for. She brought us back an estimate of everything she wanted to do right then and there and it was like 10 different tests and well out of our price range. Suddenly she tells us that most of it isn't necessary right now, crossed off more than half the procedures and said something to the extent of "if you ever want to get the other tests done you can always come back". Basically what I'm saying is I'm confused. This vet came highly recommended from the shelter, good reviews online and I just feel like it was almost too easy for her to cross things off the list, as if they were just there for the money. I hate to think that's what a vet would do but it is a business. I mean she literally did a light test for ringworm, said "well I don't see anything but I'm pretty certain she has ringworm so we should do a skin test." i haven't been to a vet in years, so basically my question to the forum is does this sound like a typical experience with a vet? Or should I look to seek a second opinion?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds weird to me. I've only been to the vet twice - once as a getting to know you, where they did run a fecal test (which they told me she wouldn't need next year now that she's indoor) and once to redo the Fiv/Felv test once she'd been away from strange cats for four months, and they've never tried to upsell me on anything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
ugh, how frustrating for you! Her client "manner" needs some major help, and even if you cut her some slack for that the bottom line is that you don't trust her now. I'd see another vet. I still to this day don't know for sure if the "his liver numbers came back elevated" was because he's now on the 3-year schedule of rabies/etc shots and they're concerned they'll be losing money on me and other cat owners who have stressed out cats who hate the vet and won't be coming in until we're forced to for an updated shot but unless we don't have to won't otherwise, or if it was reality (inhale). (sigh)