Vet Visit For New Kitten

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

We are thinking about adding a new 9 week old female kitten to our family (2 dogs, an 11 year old male cat and a 7 year old male cat).

I am worried about bringing home any diseases that can affect my current cats, so I plan to take her to the vet before bringing her home. What should she be tested for, and how long do the results take?

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vet should be able to provide you with a list of all necessary vaccinations as well as the timing of them, since some will entail multiple shots over a period of time. You can also verify what shots are definitely needed before you introduce the kitten to your family pets. And, you ask the vet if there are other shots that they might think you should consider, even it they aren't required.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. The vet should be able to provide you with a list of all necessary vaccinations as well as the timing of them, since some will entail multiple shots over a period of time. You can also verify what shots are definitely needed before you introduce the kitten to your family pets. And, you ask the vet if there are other shots that they might think you should consider, even it they aren't required.
Yeah, I get all of our animals all of the recommended vaccinations. I'm mostly concerned about bringing some respiratory illness or something home to my current residents.

I am picking her up tomorrow and have a vet appointment on the way home, so hopefully she is healthy. I'm not exactly sure what I will do if she isn't :( Fingers crossed!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the SNAP test returns a positive, you might want to wait and get the other test E - something. The SNAP test has been known to give false positives, the other one doesn't seem to.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well let us know what happens! If by some awful chance she does have something that the vet thinks you should keep her away from the others, ask them if quarantining her to a separate room would suffice - you'll probably need to do that anyway if you are going to go through the standard 'Introduction' steps.