Vet Visit - Change In Personality

sandi18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Yesterday I took both my cats to the vet for a complete exam (blood/urine/shot). I've never taken them together before but they each have their own carrier.
These two cats Love Each other.

One is an 8 year old Orange girl and the other a 12 year old Lilac Siamese.
My girl can be more temperamental at times.

I've also been with this vet for many years and like him a lot.

When we got home they both hissed at each other and hid but within a few hours my boy (Siamese) was back to himself.

Not my girl. She spends most of the time under the bed and continues to hiss at her brother who she generally loves.

What makes this more concerning is that in the middle of November we are moving back east and will be driving.
I have a big wire crate that they both have begun to get used to.

But I don't know why she's acting this way. She's never done it before.
I feel bad for her brother too who loves her.

I know it's only been a day but I'm stressed.
Especially because of our upcoming 5 day ride across the country.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandi

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people have noticed that their cats act differently after coming back from the vet. But that’s when one cat goes to the vet, and the other stays home, because the one cat now smells different. I think that, in your cats’ case, this is more of a reaction to a stressful situation (i.e. going to the vet’s), so I would think that your girl should be back to normal soon. You could try a product like Feliway that’s designed to help reduce stress in cats, to see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandi18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!
Yes, it's only 24 hours. It just hurts because shes' usually so close to him.

She did come out for a bit and they ate treats in a somewhat close area. She deliberately walked the other way from him when she was done and now she's hiding again.
Hopefully she'll be back to herself soon!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case its the usual smell related situation despite both cats going to the vet, get the cats favorite blanket (or similar) and rub it over the cat (not the scared one, the other one, although doing both wouldn't hurt) to restore the usual scent. You can prepare scent blankets for the move as well, just in case you get something similar.