Vet Visit Advice

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have an 8yr old cat that absolutely hates vet visits. Last time we went to the vets she attacked everyone, defecated everywhere out of fear, screamed so loudly the clinic thought she was badly hurt, and somehow managed to launch herself onto the top of the cabinets in the vets office. Her fear has gotten progressively worse as she’s gotten older and I’m now left wondering how I can make her visits less awful and traumatic for her (and me!).
I’ve tried feliway and calming collars. I also use rescue remedy before and after.

I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas that may help.

I thought about using a muzzle, like for grooming, but I think it may make things worse. Or keeping her in the car with my husband while I check her in and waiting to be called in, I have a feeling the noises and smells freak her out more.

She’s going in day after for a dental scaling etc and I’m super worried about having to leave her on her own traumatised and scared and I’d like to try to make it just that little bit less awful for her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Natashan,

Most of my cats are semi-feral and have to be trapped before the vet can examine them. One thing that really helps is putting the cat inside a laundry net before you put them in the carrier.

Get the large size mesh bags that can be zipped closed. It's easier to get the cat out of the carrier, no chance of them escaping, and the vet can examine them through the net and even give a sedative before taking her out.

Also cover the carrier with a blanket so she can't see or hear as much while you are waiting for the vet to examine her. Cats feel a lot safer in enclosed spaces. If she can't see out she should be a bit calmer before being examined.

Lining the carrier with those puppy pee pads is a good idea too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also cover the carrier with a blanket so she can't see or hear as much while you are waiting for the vet to examine her. Cats feel a lot safer in enclosed spaces. If she can't see out she should be a bit calmer before being examined.
I was surprised at the difference this made for my boy :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Natashan,

Most of my cats are semi-feral and have to be trapped before the vet can examine them. One thing that really helps is putting the cat inside a laundry net before you put them in the carrier.

Get the large size mesh bags that can be zipped closed. It's easier to get the cat out of the carrier, no chance of them escaping, and the vet can examine them through the net and even give a sedative before taking her out.

Lining the carrier with those puppy pee pads is a good idea too.
Thank you for the advice. I’m definitely going to give it a try. Especially covering the box and the puppy pad
Hadn’t every considered a mesh laundry bag. Can’t say it’s something I’ve ever seen or heard of being done before. Clever!

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great idea. Thanks.

Norachan -- has your vet asked about pre visit sedation? I just tried Gabapentin for my cat. It didn't work but it is producing miricals for some cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice above. Just as to the #2 issue, not the big issue I know, but can add that unfortunately, doing #2 in the carrier doesn't take anywhere near as high a level of fear as you are reporting, so even if you improve things, you may well continue to get that unless maybe you tranq the cat pre-visit (for the overall stress, obviously you wouldn't do that just for the #2 issue). So yeah, short of medication pre-visit, a pad is the best bet. Its gross and mortifying, but vets (or more accurately, the assistants) are pretty used to having to clean cats up. Not such a big deal if the cat isn't at the stress level you are reporting.

Last edited:

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good advice above. Just as to the #2 issue, not the big issue I know, but can add that unfortunately, doing #2 in the carrier doesn't take anywhere near as high a level of fear as you are reporting, so even if you improve things, you may well continue to get that unless maybe you tranq the cat pre-visit (for the overall stress, obviously you wouldn't do that just for the #2 issue). So yeah, short of medication pre-visit, a pad is the best bet. Its gross and mortifying, but vets (or more accurately, the assistants) are pretty used to having to clean cats up. Not such a big deal if the cat isn't at the stress level you are reporting.
Hi there.
The mess in the carrier isn’t my worry really. It’s the state she works herself into that upsets and worries me. I’ve asked vets about using a tranq beforehand but they look at me like I’m trying to either poison or have no idea what I’m talking about/making a big issue out of nothing. I’ve been asked (politely) not to come back to two separate vet clinics because of how my girl has reacted in the past.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets are definitely idiots. For a vet to say your cat is not welcome back and still not be open to tranquilizers is just flipping incredible. You've maybe been unlucky . . . you could try calling any other vet clinics in the area and explaining the situation without going in. Another, maybe better idea: what about home-call vets? Any in your area?

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some vets are definitely idiots. For a vet to say your cat is not welcome back and still not be open to tranquilizers is just flipping incredible. You've maybe been unlucky . . . you could try calling any other vet clinics in the area and explaining the situation without going in. Another, maybe better idea: what about home-call vets? Any in your area?
Have done home calls a few times, but the problem is can’t be done for things like dentals :/. Sometimes I have to bite the bullet and take her in. I think they aren’t Willing to give or recommend sedation meds as they’re worried I may be purposely trying to harm her. I don’t know, that or else I’m trying for a quick fix. Am using a different vet this time round so fingers!

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have done home calls a few times, but the problem is can’t be done for things like dentals :/. Sometimes I have to bite the bullet and take her in. I think they aren’t Willing to give or recommend sedation meds as they’re worried I may be purposely trying to harm her. I don’t know, that or else I’m trying for a quick fix. Am using a different vet this time round so fingers!
I feel your pain. But I just checked with the vet and gabapentin can be used with sedation. So you could ask about gabapentin. It is majorly safe even at high doses.

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. But I just checked with the vet and gabapentin can be used with sedation. So you could ask about gabapentin. It is majorly safe even at high doses.
Will definitely ask about Gabapentin. Thanks for the recommendation

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you try and find a vet that works with feral cats? I know she isn't feral, but if you have a vet that is used to cats that can't be handled at all she won't be such a challenge for them.

The thing about sedating a cat at home is that if they require further sedation at the vets, or need anesthetic for a procedure, it's really difficult to calculate exactly how much to give. I think that's why a lot of vets don't want people to give their pets a sedative at home.