Vet Shaved My Kittens!!!

Ragdollbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my adorable 13 week ragdoll kittens to the vet today to check if one has a UTI, and during the conversation I casually mentioned that they don't always do a great job of cleaning their bums. The vet asked me if I wanted them to trim the hair around their anuses, and I said sure (last visit they had also gotten a trim, and it was hardly noticeable).

They took my kittens to the back for awhile, and came back with completely shaved backsides, including the base of their tails and back legs!! Plus, they actually cut one of the kittens with the razor and had to apply glue to the cut. Then they charged me $60 for the "sanitary shaves." I was so shocked I just paid the money, but now I wish I hadn't.

I called them when I got home and realized how extensive the shave was (you couldn't tell as much when they were still in the carrier), and they apologized "if it wasn't what I was expecting." My poor kittens look ridiculous and I never want to go back to that vet :( :(

Does anyone know how long until their hair grows back? Unfortunately they probably won't be tiny fluffballs anymore by then, because kittens grow so fast. I'm trying to let it go but am just feeling so upset.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It grows back really fast. I don't blame you for not going back to that vet, they should have let you know how much it would cost.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't blame you for not going back to that vet, they should have let you know how much it would cost.
I agree it's extremely unprofessional and they definitely should have let you know about the cost. However, was it the vet or the techs who shaved their backsides and cut one kitty? If it were me I would suggest calling back again and ask to speak directly with the vet. If he or she does not rectify the charge or at least apologize it may be time to consider other options in the future. The good news is that their fur will definitely grow back but I'm sorry you and your kittens had a bad experience. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdollbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad the hair grows back quickly, and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who would be upset over this! I wish I had specifically asked what the trim entailed and if there was an associated cost, but I just assumed it would be the same as last time.

I don't know if it was the vet or the tech who did the shaving, but probably the tech. My guess is that it was a miscommunication... maybe the vet said "trim" and the tech interpreted it as "shave," or something like that.

They did say they will have the manager call me tomorrow; perhaps she will refund some of the money, but what I really want is my kittens' hair back!! :p

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It will probably take about 4 months for the fur to grow back to its full length. However, you should see it starting to fill in within a couple of weeks.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very disappointing to have something done like the shave when you were not expecting such a radical cut. And it does sound like a tech did it. I was just sitting here thinking that I would not want to SEE it being done to mine (she is a fighter and I am sure they have to have two hold them, or put them into a bag) but my ragdoll is three years old and I am going to ask the vet to do that type of a shave. She gets mats under her tail and on her back legs that she will not let me take care of. I can get to mats anywhere else on her body. She has so much fluffy hair that I will not miss that problem and I know she will be much happier as well.