Vet Said Cyst Was Nothing To Worry About, But...

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we took Belit in because she had developed this hard round bump on her neck. The vet told us it was a simple cyst, and nothing to worry about.

But it's clearly bothering her. She scratches at it a lot, and it is developing these hard ridges, or flap like things, as though she's scratching it open or something, and it's just reforming and keeping the broken open areas as hardened dead skin. It's buried in her fur so I haven't been able to take a picture of it so I hope that description makes sense.

Should we take her to another vet for a second opinion?

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take her into another vet, especially if you yourself are unsure. You know your kitty best so you know if she is in discomfort. Even if it isn't anything to worry about, her scratching at it & opening it up could lead to an infection. At the very least she may need a cone to let it heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, thanks for the responses. I didn't want to worry about it if the vet was right, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't quite right watching her scratch at it. I'll call our second vet tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would drop an update here.

We brought Belit to the secondary vet we use. We're actually considering switching to them as her primary vet, because she LOVES it there. She marches around seeking out all the vets and vet techs to get affection and scritches, it's adorable. The drawback is they are 30 minutes away instead of 5.

Anyway. We brought here there, the vet examined her, her face scrunched up when we told her what the first vet had said. She gave us antibiotics. And now that cyst-like lump on Belit's neck is gone. Belit's overall health has taken a large improvement as well. She's always been sickly with sort of grimy fur on her back end, but since the antibiotic pass, her fur is noticeably improving and she's becoming just as soft and fluffy as our other two.

Thank you to everyone for the advice to bring her to the second vet. I am very glad now that we did.