Vet Recommending Chemo 5x/week? Crazy? Needing Input.

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilly has suspected Severe IBD or SCL. She has been in fairly good spirits most days, but the diarrhea has not stopped. She is on Budesonide, Metro nausea meds etc. She also started chemo last Friday night (12/1) She's EOD and has had a total of 3 doses. Yesterday our Oncologist said if the diarrhea doesn't improve this Sunday to do chemo FIVE TIMES A WEEK M-F. I have not read of anyone doing this. Does this sound insane to you?????

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does to me, but I'm not a vet. It seems far more than what I was able to find online, as well, but that, again, is not necessarily correct. ASK HER! Is there a possibility of a second opinion? No reputable vet would be angry if you sought one,

Bailey Bills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your cat taking probiotics? I had my cat on antibiotics and the diarrhea made him feel awful. They recommend mercola brand and I’ve been giving him that ever since. We are considering chemo for our cat since he was just diagnosed with a variant of myeloma and the dose is every day for two weeks then every other day for life. That seems like a lot but I think it also depends on the dose and the type of drug. I ended up going to a large teaching hospital for diagnosis. Are you seeing an oncologist?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is taking a probiotic- Proviable.

We have been seeing an IM vet, but I have appt. next Monday to get a second opinion. It's with another IM, but this place does have an Oncology department if needed.