Vet reccommend to let my cat stay in the clinic 2-3 days after spay. should i?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i am finalizing the schedule for Rivel's spay on the 26th, and the vet said it's much better if she stayed in the hospital post surgery for a day or 3 so they can monitor if something is wrong. i talked about the costs, it's reasonable and i can afford it, but i am more worried because Rivel don't take to new environment well.

basically pros:
+ being watched by professional almost 24/7 (the doctor isn't on-site 24 hours but there are nurse/caretakers doing shift in-clinic every day). i work weekdays, and while my work is flexible and near my home, i can go back and check on her at lunch for 20-30 minutes and feed her, but still not knowing what she's gonna do during the time i am away.
+ Proper heat souce / incubator (since they can't regulate their temp after sedatives) and immediate medical attention if something happens.

cons:
- she doesn't take well in new environment so it could stress her
- probably gonna be kept in a kernel which she never has been before. i saw the kernel is decent size, should be enough for her to walk few steps, turn around ,etc

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand the vets wanting to keep Rivel in overnight but more than that I would question the need. I'm not even sure its necessary at all, all my girls came home a couple of hours after the operation and were fine. Does Rivel have any health issues that would necessitate a stay. They are usually a little sleepy and quiet after the anesthetic and as long as she will wear a collar to stop her lucking or pulling out the stitches she should be fine. Are you able to take a day or two off work to be home with her?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason she might not do well? I picked up Ellie at 3pm on the day of her spay. She was still groggy and had to wear the cone of shame but i think she was happier and less stressed at home. I always opt to bring home my pets even if they might need to return in the am. There is no one at my vet clinic all night however.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can really hurt healing, maybe you can compromise and leave her one day. She will be pretty much out of it for hours after. My vet does surgeries in the morning and then you pick them up at 5, so they can be monitored. They do much better at home in my opinion. Of course if there is an underlying medical problem with rivel, listen to your vet.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the others, my two only stayed the day of the spay/neuter. Dropped them off by 8am and picked them up at 4pm. I have never heard of a vet keeping a pet for several days after a spay/neuter unless there was something else going on. I would question the reasoning behind the request.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like the others, my two only stayed the day of the spay/neuter. Dropped them off by 8am and picked them up at 4pm. I have never heard of a vet keeping a pet for several days after a spay/neuter unless there was something else going on. I would question the reasoning behind the request.
Yeah i am afraid it's to drain money out of me, they said it's "safety procedure".

They have been good and patient even when i took care of Sniper, so i might just trust them. I can afford it.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally would leave my cat overnight after a spay. While a spay is a routine surgery, it is also a major operation for your kitty. Leaving kitty at least overnight will allow her time to come out of anesthesia fully and her pain be managed prior to sending her home.

I know if I had major surgery, I would want to remain in the hospital overnight.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have to say that in the 16 years between the last times I had gotten cats spayed, the procedure has come a long way. I was expecting Gracie to have a long incision. It was literally about an inch in length. I think her tattoo incision is the same size as her spay incision.

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, if I can afford it, I leave them at vet. They might not be happy, yet they will get a medially trained care.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, if I can afford it, I leave them at vet. They might not be happy, yet they will get a medially trained care.
true. i am worried she could get out of her cone (if needed) and lick the incision location lol. she's too crafty for her own good

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I leave all ferals for 2 or 3 days because they have to be immediately released back to wherever they have been living. My indoor only pets I leave for at least overnight. It is up to you....stress of staying there vs stress of coming home if you think that she will be a big issue with the cone or incision. Would she wear a onesie or anything like that over the incision?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The OP isn't in the US so the vets there may have different ideas.

Y'know, if you think you'll have a hard time keeping the cone on her and keeping her from jumping around, it wouldn't hurt to have the vet keep her for 2-3 days. I think longer than that would be too stressful for her though. Just overnight shoud be fine though, if you feel better that way.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Y'know, if you think you'll have a hard time keeping the cone on her and keeping her from jumping around, it wouldn't hurt to have the vet keep her for 2-3 days. I think longer than that would be too stressful for her though. Just overnight shoud be fine though, if you feel better that way.
yeah, i don't own cages, and she does get into little mischief like figured out to open drawers and cabinets and crawl into them. i think i will just do as the vet said.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet has them stay overnight after spaying surgery but not longer than that unless there is a special need. Special need like, if the cat will stay alone at home because the humans will go to work, or if the cat has a special health concern the human may not provide.

With that said, does anyone stay at the clinic at night? Because where I live most clinics has no human at nights. Even if there are hospitalized pets. Personally I don't like that and don't really see the point of leaving them more than a day. If anything happens at night, you can take them to the emergency vet.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soon. Less than 12 hours left i am anxious. I know spay surgery is pretty common and relatively easy and quick process, but i am anxious lol. My poor girl is gonna trough a lot tomorrow

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soon. Less than 12 hours left i am anxious. I know spay surgery is pretty common and relatively easy and quick process, but i am anxious lol. My poor girl is gonna trough a lot tomorrow
I was the same way almost 3 weeks ago. Even took a week off work to aid in their recovery. Got them home later that day and they acted a little less active but by the next day, the chaos was back and they acted like nothing happened. :lol: Trying to keep them calm was hard, especially Gracie who had the bigger surgery but it didn't faze her a bit.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was the same way almost 3 weeks ago. Even took a week off work to aid in their recovery. Got them home later that day and they acted a little less active but by the next day, the chaos was back and they acted like nothing happened. :lol: Trying to keep them calm was hard, especially Gracie who had the bigger surgery but it didn't faze her a bit.
Knowing rivel she's probably be ok. She's pretty tough, the vet said after f4 vaccination she might get a little lethargic and sick, but she was fine and still a glutton lol. Still kinda worried, can't be helped haha.

Yeah, my puppy is at the vet being spayed right now. They'll text me when she's out of surgery, but of course I worry. . .we all do.
Good luck for the little pup :) it is true lol.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing rivel she's probably be ok. She's pretty tough, the vet said after f4 vaccination she might get a little lethargic and sick, but she was fine and still a glutton lol. Still kinda worried, can't be helped haha.

Good luck for the little pup :) it is true lol.
Rivel sounds like my Gracie. God help us if we ever got these two together for a play date. :lol2: