Vet or groomer?

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is a Birman. His coat is fairly easy to care for, but he has a mat in one of his "armpits" that I can't seem to eliminate. I cut it from time to time (using a comb and cutting perpendicular to the skin, so as not to hurt him, of course), but I don't know if I'll ever completely rid him of it. I get nervous, because I don't want to hurt him, and he dislikes being brushed in that area.

Anyway, if I can't do it myself, I obviously need to ask someone else for help. Who do you think would be best - my vet, or a groomer? I've never used the latter, and it seems silly going for just one little mat, but I really want to get rid of it.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try a groomer first, unless he's really unruly when he's being brushed/clipped and needs a sedative first. Then a Vet with a groomer on site might be best.

Just ask the pertinent questions first. Explain the situation and ask if they experience doing cats, what do they do if the cat becomes agressive or is too much of a handful. If you can get a recommend from another long-hair cat owner that's good too...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The simple answer is - who do you trust more? Get recommendations on the groomer AND the vet. See how they handle other cats. Go with your instincts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you both for the advice. Fortunately, he's not too aggressive (well, he does like to give love bites, but that's different!), so an experienced groomer shouldn't have much trouble. I suppose it really does come down to whom I trust.

To be honest, I feel a little embarrassed about the mat. We spend a lot of time taking care of our cats, and I feel as if we should have prevented this!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought: Your vet tech might be way cheaper than the groomer... Mine wont charge for that kind of stuff....