Vet has me confused!! Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it was a bubble..reddish in color. I got an "um let me talk to the vet" "how long ago did this happen" I told her five minutes "we are here till noon" ok can you give me a time frame to expect to see it again or is this normal? "Uh um not really unless we see it and know what it is". Now she doesn't seem to be contracting, and is getting in and out of her box....still purring but resting.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No more discharge that I can see...

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. Went into the vets office. I finally got upset and called his cell phone. He did a rectal exam and tried to stimulate her cervix. He felt the kittens had not moved far enough down the birth canal for all of her symptoms. Asked me to come back in three hours if there were no kittens.

I hope I am making the right decision, but I do not want her to be induced if she can do it herself. I just went in to check on her and there was a whitish colored fluid coming out. Just a little but it is very fluid like. Tail is off to the side and she definitely doesn't want me leaving her now. I just have a feeling in my gut that taking her back isn't a good idea.

Hubby and discussed it and he feels the same way. Vet could not tell me what the sac I saw was but he said it was not a kitten. He said fetal heartbeats still looks ok. Kits seem fine. Ugh this is stressful. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much to all of you for all the advice.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow I just don't know. It's good that you did take her in and that all the kittens are alright, but the sac you saw most definitely sounds like a kitten to me. 

Since you know they are all okay you can listen to your instinct and not take her back. But, you risk having a 4am emergency. If it were me I probably would take her back- maybe not induce her, but at least have her checked again and decide where to go from there. There are just way too many warning signs that something isn't right. 

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. But I checked with my breeder friend and she said clear white discharge is healthy.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok it was clear for the most part...since this will not let me upload to the thread....I'm going to upload to my default pics what her bedding looks like after about an hour and a half. I put a heating pad on very low and wrapped blankets around it too and she loves it...but this will show you what I am seeing now.

The vet called me back and I had to return his call and I left a vm explaining what was going on now and if he did not think it could wait to call me back. She doesn't seem as uncomfortable as last night....purrs herself to sleep....and roll onto her back when I per her tummy. I have been trying to run over her nips a little, since breast feeding causes contractions....

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could very well be a sac eith a kitten enclosed in it. Often times youll see the dark sac before you ever see a kitten. If its possible i would just show up at tge vets and express how concerned you are. It sounds like she may be having difficulty. Please keep us updated. I always follow threads ive written on and im generally biting my nails until there a fruitful update if good news. Id say call the vet again. Be adamant tgat she must come in. I cried on the phone for a good 30 min with the vet until they made time. Usually if they realize how stressed and scared ypu are they will find time. Otherwise id find a new vet or emergency vet to go see

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah unfortunately you have just entered a phase where online advice isn't going to be much help. I would not be leaving her unattended at any point from now until she has the kittens. You and your husband also need to be prepared to make a trip to the after hours/ER vet.

If she starts pushing and there are no kittens within 30-45 minutes you need to get her down there ASAP. If you see the sac again and it disappears again take her ASAP. If the sac descends to the point that you can see it you have about 10-15 minutes before it becomes an emergency. If the sac does break and the kitten is stuck in the birth canal you have about 5 minutes before they start suffocating. If that does happen just do your best to reach up in there and pull them out gently. I have had to do this before and it's do-able, but you need to act quickly. When I did it I was able to grab the baby just above the shoulder blades and guided him out. Also, be prepared to break sacs and cut cords. If you have to do this stimulate the kitten to breathe by rubbing them in a quick, circular motion with a dry clothe. This is how Mom would do it and will stimulate breathing. Of course, give her the chance to do it first but if she doesn't within a couple of minutes you need to. 

I don't know if anyone posted this article for you but it's a good one on how to handle emergencies. http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infosheets/breeding_from_your_cat/felineparturition.html

Just do the best you can. If in doubt go to your closest after hours vet. 

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well after taking my husbands advice. I got some sleep and let nature take its course. I came in to find a beautiful, all black baby kitten happily nursing on mom

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok the baby is sleeping in the box...she has gotten out of the box and went and laid down in the closet. Doesn't really want my attention anymore and wants out of the room. Kit two has not come....and I haven't felt any movement from it. She is doing a lot
Of grooming but doesn't seem to be contracting or anything?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 She is doing a lot
Of grooming but doesn't seem to be contracting or anything?
They can have pauses. If we assume everything is after all as it should, a pause is nothing especial.

The trick is, if they seems contend, not stressed, happy moms - observe, but you can wait and see without much worry.

But if she is visibly worried, in distress or anything, it is worse. Proceed close watch and attention....

Good luck!

Last edited:

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only reason it concerned me was that its been at least seven hours since she had this one. The new kitten seemed to be crawling under her and becoming bothersome with possible contractions. Kit is now sleeping in the near and she is in the middle if the floor. I think she is contracting now. I would have removed the kit but she seemed anxious about it. She knows I am sitting by the box watching the kit. I hope she realizes I've got her covered.

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My breeder friend had 2 kittens one day and 2 the next. Sometimes labor can be spread out like that. :)

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well sad update. She could not get the second kitten out. After so many contractions I could still only see feet and a tail. So I started to pull with her contractions, and it was still born. It was a very large kitten. The two that showed up on X-ray were not breech and I think I can still feel another baby. Taking her in at a quarter till two.

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so sad :-C hopefully if there is another itll be health..hope mama is ok...my prayers..

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Her eyes were heartbreaking after she licked it for several minutes without results. I was thinking....the woman who runs the front desk at the Vets office was holding a 3 day old kitten that has been abandoned. Would I overstep if I asked her if she would like a surrogate when we go in? Maybe Jada will except it?

She is resting now. Nursing #1 who is healthy as a horse. I'm convinced there is a third. We are still going to go in at quarter till two. I want to make sure this one is ok. I hate to say this bit it was obvious the still born has been that way, probably even before the vet yesterday....but the vet did an ultrasound. Should he have picked up on this?

Thanks

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no u couldnt have known dont blame urself..yes i would ask about jada taking on the kitten its does all the time and im sure she has enought milk...that would be great!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
..the woman who runs the front desk at the Vets office was holding a 3 day old kitten that has been abandoned. Would I overstep if I asked her if she would like a surrogate when we go in? Maybe Jada will except it?

It may be an idea, if it is oK for you.  You can always ask.  They will surely be only grateful.

And if your momma has just one or two, it may be a plus for her to have one extra. Both for her and her kitten(s).

A win-win situation if this can be so.

One word of warning: be sure the kitten got orphan by accident or similiar. If it got orphan because the others died by a contagious sickedness, you dont want to take her.

Rescuers, for example, in such cases they raise by hand, they dont risk their residents if unsure.

Good luck!

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, an xray has shown there are no more babies. So we can relax. So sad about the second kit. He gave her a shot of oxytocin just in case, and to make sure she expels anything that could be left behind. She is now resting comfortably in a clean bed with her new real life teddy bear <3 It is heartwarming to see her cuddle it the way she does.

Since there is only one we may end up keeping it......? We will see. But for now, rest for the both of us. I have never been through anything like this with an animal, and it just goes to show that no matter how much you prepare yourself, and how many vet visits you make, and how precautious...things can still go wrong. I always envisioned myself becoming a breeder when my kids got older. After watching my poor baby in labor for almost two days, and it ending the way it did, I don't know. I don't know if I could handle that again. But I am overly exhausted, and my kids still have many years to go lol. 

I can not thank you all enough for all of your advice. This could have been a very dangerous situation for my cat had I not known what to do when she could not push that kit out. Had I not known what signs to look for. Had I not felt like I had someone else to talk to about all of it except myself lol. All of you are awesome! I am officially a fan of this site and have since turned my sister (also a cat lover and proud parent of two rescues) on to TCS. I will keep everyone updated on how the Kit is doing. I have pics of them in my default album. I will probably start another thread for that though! This one is kind a sad to me now. Although it may help someone else in the future and I am thankful for that!

Thank you again!!!!!!! Keep watching for pics!!!!