Vet Doesn't Know What's Wrong

Ellenfdb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old (estimate as he was a stray) cat, Tig is sick. I have been taking him back and forth to the vet for a year now. He has chronic diarrhea - completely watery multiple times a day. He drinks way more water than he used to. He's scratched a bald spot on his chin. Everything else is normal. His bloodwork comes back fine, as does the swabs and the samples. He has seen multiple vets and I just don't know what to do from here. I hate how miserable this must be for him and I don't know how to make it better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The diarrhoea and scratching could be part of the same thing or different issues. Are you able to post a photo of his chin for us to see. What are you feeding him, it could be an allergy to the food that is causing both problems.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking allergy too. You will have to switch slowly to different foods, to find if he is allergic to perhaps fish or chicken, or even a byproduct. No milk products at all, when a cat gets mature they are most often lactose intolerant, which would explain his symptoms too. i hope you find out what's arong, I know how frustrating this can be.....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting an opinion from another vet would be a good idea since the current vet has no idea what is wrong despite the symptoms being present for a year. An internal veterinary medicine vet would be ideal.

One thing you can try is to change the food in case the symptoms are food related. What are you feeding your cat? Brand and type? Chicken and grains are common causes of food allergies and symptoms could include diarrhea and itchy skin. A limited ingredient diet is helpful and it's important to feed only the limited ingredient diet (no people food, etc) for at least 13 weeks or so to see if the food helps.

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might sound weird. Have you tried fortiflora? It’s a probiotic sprinkled in food. It sounds like he is having GI problems since the blood and all tests come normal.
You can buy it online or st the vet and will replenish the gut bacteria and flora needed for good digestion, absorption, and pooping. If you check chewy.com you can see how it has helped kitties with very similar Simpson’s as yours.
I would suggest also buying transfer factor, it’s an inmune booster that has a whole host of good additives, vitamins, minerals, so what ever it is bothering him this will help his immune system fight it.( yes it’s 50 bucks or so but lasts very long and it’s the same price as one vet visit).
I give all my kitties including my FIV positive one who has a compromised immune system this and it’s helps a lot. The only kitty I don’t give it to it’s the one that it’s hypersensitive to something and her immune system reacts strong to that X factor (we don’t know what that is) so we don’t want to give more power to it. Hope it helps!