Vet Doesn't Know What It Is

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190316_115251.jpg
This is wound on my cat's back leg that has tripled its size in 2 days. I dont know what happened. Antibiotics that the vet prescribed don't help. It smells bad. The kitten eats well. Any advice anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Your cat may have gotten into a fight and this is a puncture or scratch wound that got infected, or in trying to run from something, got snagged on something sharp.

Can you find a different vet? The swelling that is increasing, and the bad smell is indicating that a stronger medicine needs to be prescribed, but also that the wound should be dealt with so it isn't open to bacteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will take it to another vet on Monday, but any advice until Monday is very much appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get some L-Lysine to add to the food? Is your kitty licking the wound? If so, try getting a cone so that your cat can't reach the wound.

Try and keep your kitty in a smaller space that's clean to try and avoid contamination.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Being honest, it really shouldn't wait until Monday. I would find an emergency vet now. Was it smaller when your vet saw it?

Antibiotics usually take 72 hours to help an infection. My concern is how much it's opened and how deep it looks. Assuming it is an abcess, you'd really need a surgical drain and flush to clean it our properly. At home, the best you can do is maybe get a large syringe and wash the area with a warmed saline solution. I would also get some gauze wrapping and lightly bandage it to keep germs out as best you can for now. I honestly don't feel comfortable with home care with how open that looks. It likely needs stitches given it's size.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you can get your cat to the vet, you might putting a hot compress on the wound every hour for five minutes or so. That will increase circulation to the wound site.

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was much smaller 2 days ago when it appeared and the vet prescribed antibiotics that don't work i guess. Now it's horrible. I will find another vet tomorrow morning. I asked the vet today if it needs stiches, he said no. I try to keep it clean but it's very big wound so it needs a better vet.

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your advices, I really appreciate it

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually stitches aren't the best for wounds and cats. The bacteria needs a way to drain so it doesn't build back up. But this one? I'd think so, stitches and a drain in my opinion, but I am not a vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Slightly warm to the touch warm is the general rule of thumb. You don't want to burn the skin but the warmth encourages draining of the bacterial. I tend to do just warm clean washcloth and hold it until it isn't warm. With how open it is I am a little hesitant in this case because I'd worry about making it worse.

Last edited:

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is doing better after 4 injections of stronger antibiotics, it stopped spreading, bad smell is gone and the wound looks better, he eats well and he was playing today with his sister. He is following me around again. We are going to win this fight :) . The other vet says no stitches, just keep it clean and put antibiotic creme on the wound and we'll see how it goes but he is sure that it's going to be ok. Thank you all for your advices and concern, you saved the cat!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is doing better after 4 injections of stronger antibiotics, it stopped spreading, bad smell is gone and the wound looks better, he eats well and he was playing today with his sister. He is following me around again. We are going to win this fight :) . The other vet says no stitches, just keep it clean and put antibiotic creme on the wound and we'll see how it goes but he is sure that it's going to be ok. Thank you all for your advices and concern, you saved the cat!
Yay!!!

I am a little surprised about not stitching it but it might not be as dramatic in person. I usually don't think we should stitch cats for infections either. Keep us up-to-date with his healing. We love happy endings.

Mayaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I'm sure it will be good. The wound is getting smaller and looks fine. I leave the wound to "breathe" 2x1hour a day and then clean with H2O2 and I put creme that helps it heal and gauze in the meantime. Yaaay! :)