Vet didn't mention dental issue?

gatolover77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 yr old cat has had recurring uri since I adopted him. A couple of months ago he went in to get a ct scan and biopsy after we found a pink mass in in his nostril. It was benign and he was diagnosed with eosinophilic rhinitis. They recommended steroids for treatment of his chronic inflammation. I spoke to the regular vet and he recommended changing his food again and trying environmental changes before putting him on steroids as they are not good for long term, and if we don't get to the root of what's causing his issues he will end up being on steroids for a lifetime. I was also assured that his sniffly nose wasn't a big issue and I was more worried about it than he was.

I was recently looking over the documents when he got his ct scan. I looked over them before but I was so fixated on it not being cancer and on the final diagnoses that I missed out on something. The radiologists notes pointed out advanced tooth resorption on one of this premolars. I was surprised to see this as the surgeon never mentioned this to me when telling me his diagnosis, and neither did his regular vet. It wasnt included in the main notes at all, it was kind of hidden with a bunch of other observations the radiologist made. I had no idea what tooth resorption was so I did research and it seems to cause a lot of pain. Why was I not told that my cat has a tooth in advanced resorption? It seems none of them found this important. I only know about it because I asked for all of the notes- they originally didn't want to give me the radiologists write up. That was the only one place it was mentioned. The surgeons paperwork with diagnosis don't mention anything about it, I wasn't told verbally, nothing. Does this mean the tooth is already gone so they didn't think it was worth pulling?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. From all the previous threads on this site about resorption, I don't think once it reaches a certain stage there is much else to do but have the tooth/teeth removed. I would ask the vet to discuss the findings with you and see what they have to offer once they are made aware of them and that you know about it.

In the meantime, here are a couple of pretty good articles about tooth resorption in case that would help you better understand what it means and enable you to formulate some questions for your vet.
Everything You Need to Know About Tooth Resorption in Cats (webmd.com)
Tooth Resorption | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine