Vet Community Against Wet Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they refer to a study it should be listed in the references list at the end of the paper.
I'm a dork. The studies are there. I would post the link but I don't know how because as previously stated, I'm a dork. :tongue:
You can google
Dry food and risk of disease in cats - Tony Buffington
Thanks @Azazel

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What people want is clearly a document of the study, not just "according to studies on cats . . ." so I doubt anybody would care about the CVJ.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
weebeasties weebeasties , thanks for the reference! I'll have to read it, and take a look at the references on the bottom. Looks like lots of specific and good studies in there.

Someone on TCS recommended the Netflix documentary "Pet FOOleD", and I watched it the other night. According to that documentary, dry food was invented during WWII when pet food companies were no longer allowed to use the highly-valued metal needed to create wet food cans. So they had to create a new type of food that they could sell in non-metal containers, which gave rise to kibble. Thought that it was an interesting factoid, and kind of scary that such an arbitrary catalyst shaped what we feed pets today.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That is interesting, but then how do you explain the return of metal cans for feeding wet food? And what about plastic containers like Purrfect Portions?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that Purffect Portions and that type did not exist during WWII, although I didn't check.

Once the ability to use metal cans returned, I'm sure companies found their profit margins soared with dry kibble, and then the whole machine creaked into motion.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I just meant that type of plastic container, not the Nutro and its PP division.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any vet who would argue that wet food is filled with empty calories and fillers hasn't bothered to read an ingredient list on a can of wet food---or they have read the ingredient list on a can of science diet that they sell...

My vets offer prescription food but they advocate very strongly for wet food for cats.
Really. This was the old rap against canned dog food back in the '70's-'80's. I don't know anything about dog food because I don't have a dog, but I've got cat food I'm tempted to eat myself. Fussie Cat chicken smells better when you open the can than most human foods.

My vets are cat friendly and really seem to like cats and know about them. They have "cat night" where they only see cats so they won't be scared by big scary dogs. My cat is more afraid of strange people (like vets) than dogs, but we go then anyway because they give stuff away.