Vet Anxiety

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I recently put up a post about me being a worrier with my cats. My concerns for my cat Pepe are getting worse. Pepe may have asthma, and needs to go to the vet for xrays. She has always hated vet visits, but has been ok afterwards. But not this time. She was very scared during her last visit. The vet took her to the nxt room to weigh her, and I heard a crash. She must have jumped off scales, not sure what happened, but after the exam and injection, she crawled into the corner, shaking. She has had cat flu before, and I knew she would get it again after that visit, so I insisted on getting meds for it, so I didn' t need to bring her back. Sure enough, she got it. Ever since she has been skittish around my husband who catches her and puts her in her carrier for vet visits. It's like she thinks he's going to grab her and take her. It was about a month ago. She also isn't as affectionate with him. Not as many bunts. I'm so scared to take her back. I have to leave her for the day, and I worry the stress could kill her. She will get cat flu again, and maybe an anxiety issue. She is the most beautiful, loving cat. I'm getting bad anxiety over having to take her back again. There is no other way around this. Help!!!

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah no, I totally understand your anxiety. My little kitty is the same, and was hiding and growling at us after her recent vet visits. Not a nice thing for them or for us. I had to leave mine there for the day last week, she was very stressed and anxious but I knew it was for the best.

When she returned home she was so happy to be back that is was as if all was forgiven, even to my boyfriend who, like with your cat, she blames the most for the vets visits. I really hope this is the same with yours!

I'm not sure what tips to give as it really isn't easy when your cat is so terrified of the vets :( We leave the pet carrier out a few days before she needs to go so she gets used to seeing it and doesn't panic when we need to catch her as much as seeing it and thinking oh no, nope nope nope. You could maybe try some calming spray on a blanket in the carrier too, I'm not sure how effective this would be as it depends on the cat. I took an extra blanket that she likes to sleep on and asked that stayed with her to help too.

The only other thing really is that you are taking her as you love her. She may not understand it but I'm sure some extra treats will help her forgive you. Good luck!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. I hate to take mine in as well, especially my little white girl who had so many medical problems and spent so much time there. But it is necessary sometimes. Maybe ask the vet if they have an anti anxiety pill or something you can give her before bringing her in? I dont know if they can, with they may need to sedate her for the x-ray.

I also have another cat who has very mild asthma. So far everything is under control by keeping the house as dust free as possible, no scented candles, air spray, cleaner laundry detergent, anything like that. And a dust free litter.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Spookymoo Spookymoo and duckpond duckpond . I have ordered some feliway spray, and I also got some anti anxiety pills on my last vet visit. Pills are another problem though.... She's one difficult lady! Can't get a pill down her throat. She's just not herself now. My husband is upset because she runs away from him. And it's only going to get worse. I keep the house clean and dust free. I don't use sprays, and they go out to their cat run instead of a litter box. I do everything to keep my cats happy and safe. I just feel so awful about this.

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend feels the same way, he hates her running away from him (although I'm very glad she does it work him not me, I don't think I could cope if she did it with me!).

You'e doing the absolute best and she's lucky to have such a caring human. Can you get pill sausages there? I use them for mine, it's kind of pliable so you can stick it around the pill. Works wonders with mine. I believe it's called easy pill cat putty, may be worth trying if you can get it!

Keep us updated, I hope it all goes well!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You're definitely not alone, I think given the choice most, if not all cats would rather remain in their home environment. They can also pick up on our stress/anxiety when we have to take them to the vet or get them in the carrier. For that reason I try to relax and stay calm as much as possible beforehand. Cats are experts at reading our signs and behavior. It's good that you were able to get some anti-anxiety meds on your last vet visit for her. Here is an Article with tips that may be helpful about hiding pills: Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills
In my personal experience I have an easier time with liquid meds in a syringe than with pills and/or capsules. Regarding her being skittish around your husband, he could try to interact with her by playing, feeding, etc. so she doesn't associate him with putting her in the carrier all the time. I know you are aware of many of the tips about reducing stress in cats but thought I would add this Article also:Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I think you're doing a great job of helping to do what's best for Pepe. When it comes to our cats we are all worriers, myself included. Good luck and please keep us posted on her progress. :goodluck:

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - You've gotten some terrific advice.
I assume you've thought of this, but do you have a vet in the area who does at-home visits?

I tried this for my Big Guy because we had one bad vet visit and it's been heck to get him to the vet/any vet since, but that didn't work either due to that gentleman having nylon bags for his various items, which along with the zippers sounded just like my guy's soft-side carrier (sigh).

Also regarding calming products not only for vet visits but at home as well, if feliway doesn't work for you (as @spookymoo mentioned, it has zero effect on my guy) you could also try some other products, including diffusers, treats and collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
I realize you're in Australia, but perhaps online? Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one under their brand and Pet Naturals does as well, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--as I don't know what you already received from your vet, prescription Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (such as excessive grooming).

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely neely , Furballsmom Furballsmom , and catlover73 catlover73 . Pepe and my husband are usually best buddies. I can't put the stress pill in food for Pepes xray, as she can't eat anything before. I'm not even sure the pill is ok to give her before sedation. The vet told me to put in her food, then later on said she can't eat before her xray?! Hard to find a good vet here that actually cares about your pet. I have been to a few. After the xray, I have found a vet that does house calls.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to have the vet come to you? In my area there are a couple of vets that do home visits. I think that might help your stressed out cat. Also you can start training her by catching her, then releasing her (so not every time ends in a trip to the vet.) You could try taking her for a car ride once a week where nothing bad happens and see if that helps in 6 months or year? My cat Dante started panting he was so stressed out so I just held him in my arms for the car ride and put him in the carrier to take him to the vet (with top open so I could reach in & pet him.) It did help calm him down but he is a mama's boy.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks danteshuman danteshuman . I will be trying a vet that does house calls nxt time. But I have to take her in for xrays, and leave her for the day. That's what's stressing me. I don't want to leave my furbaby.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
neely neely Took Pepe for her xrays today. She didn't need sedation. Was very pleased she did so well. She has mild asthma, as I expected.

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Mine was very nervous at first but it has gotten a lot better! What I've been doing is leaving the carrier outside and open, sometimes I will throw a toy inside or some treats, and let her naturally get into the carrier. This way the cat won't relate the carrier with going to the vet or outside. Once the cat gets more comfortable with being inside the carrier I would close it and carry her around the house for a while the let her free again.

Maybe this will not solve the problem of being anxious when with the vet, but it might help her to stay calmer while in the carrier in the way to the vet and immediate comfort after being examined by the vet. Just improving the whole experience overall.

Add a piece of clothing with your scent and a favorite toy for extra comfort!

Good luck!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely Took Pepe for her xrays today. She didn't need sedation. Was very pleased she did so well. She has mild asthma, as I expected.
Thanks so much for the update. :thanks: Although I'm sorry to hear Pepe has asthma I'm pleased to find out she did not need to be sedated. I hope she continues to do well. All my best to Pepe and you. :catlove:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - so, regarding asthma, in case you haven't done these things already, if you have dusty litter, scented candles, air fresheners, strongly scented spray cleaners and dryer sheets, if you can make adjustments with those things it might help her respiratory system.
Also, did the vet say anything about whether it might be an allergic reaction to something in her food? if so, you could try grain free, limited ingredient food, canned as well as kibble.
Good luck!
For the next visit, instead of something for calming that she needs to eat, you might consider diffusers. My Big Guy has some anxiety with home visits as well, but hopefully your girl is ok and I'm glad this visit turned out less stressful!

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom . Yes, I ordered some feliway spray, I don't use sprays. She is on a good diet, I don't use scented candles inside, or oils as I read it was no good for cats. I don't use litter. They have a big cat run, and use the garden bed in it. The people nxt door smoke though. Can't change that. If they don't mind smoking around their kids, they won't care about my cat.