Very young kitten questions

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many poops per day will a 2-3 week old kitten have? He went on his own once today, but the rest of the time I was stimuating him to go and he just peed. Is one poop a day average or not?

Also, how much food should he be eating per day? He eats out of a bowl, will not take a bottle. I feed him wet kitten food mixed with KMR. It is in a ich deep dish about 3 inches wide and I fill the bowl up. He eats that in one day. Is this around normal? Should he be eating more? Less? We has a well-fed belly.

Are 2-3 week old kittens normally fully aware of their surroundings and grooming themselves? This kitten is grooming himself and playing with my fingers but doesn't really move around much otherwise. When he does he is really wobbly.

One last question, what is the age that a kitten can be tested for FeLV and FIV? I have some 5 week olds I was going to give to my friend and she has another cat she doesn't want getting sick. How accurate is it testing a kitten at 5 weeks?

Thanks guys!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as the FIV and FeLV testing I believe to get the most accurate result, you have to wait till 12 weeks.... as far as the feeding I'm sorry I don't know anything about that, I've never raised kittens, but you sound like you're doing an excellent job

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A kitten that young needs 4-5 feeding a day IMO. They have tiny tummies and are metabolizing very quickly- if they don't eat frequently enough blood sugar can drop.
The more often you feed him the more poops he will have- the in/out ratio holds fairly well.

Please feed him more often!