Very Weird!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That is so sad! Were they sick? She lost all of the kittens in her last litter as well right? And her sister did too? Are you able to get both of the moms spayed now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the exact situation of the kitten still alive? Is it possible to save it by vigorous action - supplement feeding - by you??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand you hint its something genetic - and its very possible... But if the genetics is essentially too little milk, or milk of bad quality, vigorous supplement feeding, or extra care otherwise, do sometimes save an weak kitten whom otherwise would die if just left with momma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No none of them were sick. One minute they were happy, fat and playing and the next -- dying. The last one died on the 29th. I did notice that her milk glands were hard as rocks. I know they had been getting milk before and eating but them one after the other stopped eating, got weaker and weaker and just died. Correct though. Her sister's only liter died as well. I am trying to save up to get them fixed though cause she can't handle any more losses and my heart can't take it either. It's pricey here apparently. :-( :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Going to another county may be less convenient, but would be much cheaper. Please check out the options I gave you earlier in your thread.

People who go to another city usually hang out for the day and then pick up their cats and head home. It's worth it to get it done quicker and so cheaply.

It's worth considering. Vets are very costly!

Is it possible mom has mastitis?

Applying a warm, wet wash cloth to her mammaries will offer her relief.

Please do not let your cats outside until they are spayed, even if they go into heat.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. Her glands have returned to normal but all her babies are gone now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im deeply sorry! RIP little ones...

I do agree with you, the only left now is to spay them. If she is a good momma and you want to see kittens, you can perhaps help some orphans as fosterer and caretaker.
But hers carrieer as biological momma is over.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know and that's sad. I really wanted a kitten from her. Yea she was a good mommy. She took good care of her babies. Her sister hasn't gotten pregnant since her first liter. As soon as I can though, we plan on getting them fixed. I hate it but it has to be done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, spaying is necessary. They are staying inside right?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know and that's sad. I really wanted a kitten from her. Yea she was a good mommy. She took good care of her babies. Her sister hasn't gotten pregnant since her first liter. As soon as I can though, we plan on getting them fixed. I hate it but it has to be done.
There is nothing to hate. You are doing an amazing kindness for your girls. Don't worry.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. They are inside cats.