Very vocal kitty

hankandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone else have this issue? How do you deal with it?  My cat meows constantly, and it's not a cute, polite meow, it's a very loud, demanding one. We adopted him about three weeks ago, other than the extreme vocalization he is a very good cat. The only time he stops meowing is if he is eating or in my lap. I will pet him for an hour but if I get up, he will follow me around meowing as if someone is hurting him. When we feed him, he will empty the dish and then meow for more.  If I leave the apartment, he meows so loudly I can hear him from the first floor. He wakes me up at 5am, meowing in my ear for food. He's very affectionate with me but not with my boyfriend. He will just stare at him and meow but wont snuggle with him like he does with me.  He's about 2 years old, and he has been neutered. I don't want to give up on him, but my boyfriend has about had it. What to do?

procat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food is a great motivator for cats and if that's one thing that keeps him quiet, then I'd try clicker training him. 

Get one on one with the cat and avoid making physical contact. If he's a constant meower it will be easy... just wait for him to stop meowing for a couple of seconds, then click and give him a treat. If he continues to stay quiet, click and give him a treat every few seconds after that. Some cats get it right way, others it takes time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hankandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting, I'm going to try this.  Thanks for the advice, I'll post my results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hankandlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a clicker but I wanted to try this today so I have just been making the clicking noise myself. After about 4 or 5 attempts, he actually quieted and waited for the noise, and then the treat. I tried it again when I got home from work and it only took two go's. With your advise and the advise of the cat whisperer guy on Animal Planet, I think I might be able to train him after all! It's just been one day of training, but I had a good play session with him, fed him late, (while silent,) and I can happily tell you that he is laying silently on the floor next to me, not in my lap.  THIS IS AWESOME!  I was tying to ignore the behavior before, which by itself wasn't working, so it feels good to have a proactive approach to the problem.  Hopefully with more training this kitty will remember to hush.  I can't wait until he is more adjusted and a bit less needy. I'm building him a cat perch this weekend! Thanks again!