Very Very Very Hyperactive

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a new kitten that found me in a pet store, she was abandoned in a box outside the door at the age of around 6 weeks old. When I walked into the pet store, she jump a 2 foot fence to come to me twice. So I've decided to take her home.
It took less than a week to get Cadie ,my 8 years old female used to her.
Felicia is the kind of cat that is needy and fearless and very very very Hyperactive, I feed her raw food. It take around 2 hours to take her down with continuous playing. I never owned a cat with so much energy.
The problem is that if I stop Cadie's tail is her her first choice toy, Cadie growled at her and she stop but she goes again few minute later.
My Cadie wich is already a very stress cat, I've found her in a cage in a bad pet store shaking.
I had to get her out of there, Don't know what age but the eye were still blue.

Any tips on how to get her to calm down a bit and stop bothering Cadie so much?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is a kitten thing. Not much to be done unfortunately. It will get better with time. Slowly.

If your older cat is stressed enough, medication from your vet is possible. Some people on here recommend herbal products. Some people recommend getting another kitten, which I think is too risky, could make things worse. YMMV.

Some alone time / private petting with door closed is good for the older one, but I don't recommend overdoing it or having them sleep separately because that just makes the kitten more eager to play and the older cat never sees chill/sleepy kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A ArtNJ is right...the only real cure for this is time. You don't want to isolate them from each other for more than short breaks for Cadie, as they are generally doing well together, and you want to encourage this! Cadie does growl, and the kitten listens, which is a good thing! If Cadie gets annoyed enough, she may even swat the kitten. Don't worry about that unless she actually goes after her to draw blood. Swats are just teaching this new little fireball some manners!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is a kitten thing. Not much to be done unfortunately. It will get better with time. Slowly.

If your older cat is stressed enough, medication from your vet is possible. Some people on here recommend herbal products. Some people recommend getting another kitten, which I think is too risky, could make things worse. YMMV.

Some alone time / private petting with door closed is good for the older one, but I don't recommend overdoing it or having them sleep separately because that just makes the kitten more eager to play and the older cat never sees chill/sleepy kitten.
I had cat all my life, but believe me, this one kitten is like an army of one.
As I write this Cadie came washing herself on the chair where Felicia is sleeping, and the kitten she offer her ,her belly side.
Funny the kitten woke and tried to put her paw on Cadie but she took it as a treath.
Thing are fine when Felicia is not in play mode

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cat all my life, but believe me, this one kitten is like an army of one.
Oh I believe you! As with most cat traits, kitten activity falls in a range, and since normal kittens can be pretty danger super-charged at times, kittens at the upper end of the range . . . yep, little terrors for sure.

Thing are fine when Felicia is not in play mode
That is a good sign. When things are really bad, the older cat will leave the room if the kitten comes in, start hissing or at least start super vigilance. Fine when the kitten is calm sometimes takes some time to get too, and you are there already, so that is good.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are balls of unlimited energy. I always wonder where all those energy are coming from. I have one now and is harassing my other older cats, especially my Barley as he is the gentler and more tolerant in character. What I do when I can sense that Barley has had enough and wants a break but cannot complain, is I separate my kitten Graham and contain her in the living room while Barley rests in the bedroom. You can also do this with your Felicia and Cadie. At night when your Cadie wants to sleep you can also do the separation thing. Older cats need their sleep too. :)

My other older cat Bourbon hisses at and swats my kitty Graham every now and then. With Bourbon my Graham listens. But with Barley, nah!

Don’t worry, kittens also grow up too fast. Soon her energy will gradually wear off, and just a couple of years you will just see the both of them lounging together beside the window and enjoying the view quietly.