Very Suddenly Aggressive

FreakinCoolUsername

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my sisters cat is about 10 to 11 months old and yesterday she flew off the rails and tried to kill one of our other 2 cats. The description i have is this - Luna (the afflicted cat) was sitting in the window all by herself watching the cars go by. Then like a switch flipped she jumped out of the window and ran directly over to my cat Boo and attacked him with a ferosiousness i have never seen before. Luna was really trying to kill him we had to pry her off and separate her in a bedroom, she attackedhim so hard that we were pulling pices of her claws out of his neck. This happened after the three of them were all cuddled up on the couch that morning sleeping toghether perfectly fine. So we put her in a seprate room with her own water and food (and litter box) and its now 2 days later and shes still trying to come under the door and attack the other cats. I have never seen this behavior before from her, shure shes been slightly aggresive in the past but this was so sudden and none of the other cats were even near her. She hasn't used the bathroom or eaten since she has been isolated, i hate to do that but she looks for then attacks the other 2 cats as soon as we open the door. The other 2 are now scared of her and avoid the bedroom door she is behind. We are really worried, called the vet and they said they could get an appiontment for her until december! (vets in my area are not great) I have my suspisions what it may be as we rescued her from being abandoned outside and not threw a shelter, this isn't heat as her heat has never been like this before. Please any advice is appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely, Luna saw another cat outside the window, something called redirected aggression kicked in, and lashed out at the other cat because it was nearby. The basic formula is something stresses cat badly, then cat lashes out at innocent person or cat that is nearby. Seeing an outside cat is one of the most common causes. Only a certain % of cats react this way, but it is high enough that this is a common issue.

You can usually "cure" the specific problem by a short separation, BUT repeat episodes are a big risk. Keeping the shades down, buying a window decal, or something to keep cats off your lawn (motion activated sprinkler) are options.

Of course, there is a chance it could be something else. What do you think? Ever seen any outside cats around?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreakinCoolUsername

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we commonly have stray cats, but would her behavior really continue for 2 days after. My theory was extreme stress due to irratated bowels from an un usaully strong cramp during the begining of her heat. About 15 min. ago we let her out and she is acting just like she was before all this and she was just trying to attack the others not even 3 hours ago but now perfectly fine.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That strikes me as an oddly specific theory, but yes, discomfort from a medical issue is another big cause of this so its possible. And no, redirected aggression doesn't last two days on its own, but if they fight, then the memories of the fight can last two days sure! Its like if a human couple fights and stuff gets said - at that point, it doesn't necessarily matter anymore what the initial cause of the fight was.

With a window-related incident and the known prescence of stray cats in the area, its most likely that, but other things are definitely possible!

FreakinCoolUsername

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will say your theory is definantly more probrable. Thanks for the help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a case of redirected aggression, she saw something that scared her badly and lashed out at whoever was handy. It had lasted for 2-3 days with some of my cats when one has gone to the vet and comes back smelling different. Not all cats do this, but I have had plenty. Separate until she calms down, but let them together at times so she will get used to them again. If she was spayed, she may have a less hormonal reaction to another cat or whatever scared her.

FreakinCoolUsername

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We reintroduced her yesterday, and after about 24-26 hours she went back to being aggresive again like she was before. She is going to the vet on monday for a check-up and then schedual her getting spayed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are having her spayed, that may help. She may still be seeing something outside that is upsetting her too.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could contact an online vet service in your area to try to get an earlier appointment. It seems she is dealing with something hard to determine through observation only.

FreakinCoolUsername

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could contact an online vet service in your area to try to get an earlier appointment. It seems she is dealing with something hard to determine through observation only.
Not an option in my area. We are going to try and get a walk in appiontment tomarrow, then that will be the check up after that we have to wait at least two week according to the vet for her to get spayed.