Very Senior Cat With Ckd And Hyperthyroidism - Diet Question

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if Hills Science Diet a/d "Urgent Care" food is a good choice for our very senior ex-feral cat Fluffy. He s approx 17 years young and has Chronic Kidney Disease and is borderline in renal failure. Our vet gave us a/d food to help put weight on him because of the hyperthyroidism. He was just recently diagnosed with a high phosphorus level. Fluffy did not care for the one type of kidney disease safe food we tried but he loves a/d. I have looked on the Hills site and see the ingredient list but I cannot tell the phosphorus amount. Are we doing him harm by giving him a/d?

I also bought some of the Tomlyn Nutri-Cal paste. This looks to be kidney disease safe but wanted to ask anyway.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your Vet prescribed the A/D, and they are treating Fluffy for both the CKD and Hyper-T, then I would think it's perfectly ok to feed it to him. If it's high in Phos, but he loves it, our Vet would say, so be it. I've had three kidney cats and our Vet said getting them to eat anything was the highest priority (however, none of ours were ever diagnosed with high phos in their blood). You can always discuss with your Vet the use of Phosphorus Binders, which should help. Have you tried calling Hills to ask them what the percentage of phos is in that food. That's probably your best bet. Hopefully it's low enough you don't even need to use phos. binders.

Have you seen this website? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - The Importance of Phosphorus Control This was my "go to" for anything kidney related before a Vet visit so I had all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Something else, in case you aren't already, would be to have multiple water bowls in different locations, even have one or two elevated off the floor, cleaned daily --with filtered water or even artesian water, ie as chemical et al free as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I should have mentioned that our vet prescribed a Phosphorus Binder. He has been taking it now for two days. He appears to be doing a little better.

We have an artesian well on our property. Funny you say that because all the animals seem to like water from the well better. We have two community water bowls for all the dogs and cats. Fluffy has been hanging out in my wife's office mostly so we put a water dish for him in there.

I found out the a/d food has about twice as much phosphorus as the Hills kidney food. Our vet said the benefits of a/d for his other issues outweigh the downside of the higher phosphate and that the phosphate binder should take care of that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
We have an artesian well on our property. Funny you say that because all the animals seem to like water from the well better.
I did too - grew up on artesian, moved to Denver and thought I was swallowing liquid metal - geez I hated the municipal/tap water. FINALLY found an artesian water delivery --whew.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK then, I think the A/D should be fine. Even at twice the phos as a prescription kidney diet, that's still lower that a lot of non prescription foods, and since you're using phos. binders, you should be fine. The most important thing, as i mentioned earlier, is that he eat. Some of the foods my last kidney cat ate were probably 10 times higher in phos, but our Vet STILL said it was ok, since she ate a variety of foods. And she lived an additional 3 years after diagnosis (and didn't die from the kidney disease)

Hoping your old guy as lots of time yet with you!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
E edandjill - Given that Fluffy's veterinarian is currently treating for hyperthyroidism, there's probably already a calcimimetic in the medication regimen, as they're used specifically in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism and double as phosphorus reducers. You might ask your vet about an additional phosphate binder if you're concerned about the phosphorus levels in Fluffy's new diet.

He looks to be a great fine Orange Cat; I'm partial to them. Best of luck!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did too - grew up on artesian, moved to Denver and thought I was swallowing liquid metal - geez I hated the municipal/tap water. FINALLY found an artesian water delivery --whew.
I think you all may be mistaking artesian with quality.
We have an artesian well and it's not fit for consumption. :barfgreen:
Or else I am?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, but the artesian I'm having delivered to the house is fantastic.
I'm not saying that it is, but it makes me wonder if your well has been compromised in some way...

Last edited:

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told a true artesian well is 500ft down. Our water comes out 100% clear and tastes good. However, it does have a slight smell when it comes out of the spicket.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure an artesian well is simply a well that constantly overflows.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
ok, I had to look that up - basscat basscat , you're getting as bad as 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine :lol: (that's ok, that's a good thing :D )

I will say that this part; artesian means that the water is contained in an underground aquifer and/or reservoir (from answers.com) is the part that I like.

What I think makes surface water questionable is that for instance here in the mountains west of Denver --which are source waters--, prescription drugs have been found and there is fertilizer and pesticide in the water as runoff from illegal marijuana grows.
I don't have a good feeling about my municipality's water filtering.

Granted, I might be extra-over-the-top jumpy about it since Flint, Michigan, but then again...

ANYway, E edandjill along with water quality discussions, how are things today?

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is with great sadness that I report that Fluffy has lost his battle on 07/14/18. On that day he was unable to walk anymore. His eyes still looked good and he was eating but was losing weight. Plus they found a large tumor near his stomach and a large lump on his upper jaw that the vet felt was either a raging infection or cancer. He was also having trouble with bowel movements. I think his body just finally gave out. From talking to the neighbors and our vet we estimate his age to be about 18 which is very good for a cat that spent years outside on his own. I wish we could have rescued him sooner. He went peacefully at our home with vet assisted euthanasia. One day I will see you again Fluffy with your health restored.

Attachments

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m very sorry for your loss. Fluffy was a lovely gentleman, and I’m glad he got to spend his last years with people who loved him.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is with great sadness that I report that Fluffy has lost his battle on 07/14/18. On that day he was unable to walk anymore. His eyes still looked good and he was eating but was losing weight. Plus they found a large tumor near his stomach and a large lump on his upper jaw that the vet felt was either a raging infection or cancer. He was also having trouble with bowel movements. I think his body just finally gave out. From talking to the neighbors and our vet we estimate his age to be about 18 which is very good for a cat that spent years outside on his own. I wish we could have rescued him sooner. He went peacefully at our home with vet assisted euthanasia. One day I will see you again Fluffy with your health restored.
E edandjill - Doubtless everyone here who's shared in this thread and in Fluffy's battle shares your deep sense of loss at his passing. No doubt when next you meet, he'll greet you with thanks for all you did for him. He was a remarkably handsome fellow indeed.